Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Things are getting messy on the gearslut thread.

Ohhhh snap can you link it? :popcorn:

Seems like Behringer was attempting to put better effort than arturia did recently regarding collab with a smaller entity.

1 Like

Check it out, Behringer specifically requests that customers make mockups to send in to them, and then posts them on their FB page. If you look at their front page, you will see multiple fan submissions in the most recent posts from people named Ken, Andreas, and George. Every CR-78 image theyā€™ve posted recently has been made by customers.

In fact, in the post from January 26th regarding the CR-78, Uli posts this:
ā€œPerhaps we have some folks here whoā€™d want to sketch something up and so you can all vote for the best design. The winner will get a free RD-6 thatā€™ll be soon released.ā€

Based on this information, it is very reasonable to think that this image could be a fan mock-up. I think itā€™s strange that youā€™re pushing back on me about thisā€¦

Even without taking this information into account, simply examine the image closely and zoomed in. Differing degrees of artifacting on different components, around text, etc. This appears to be an edited image, not a CAD rendering. This, in addition to the knowledge that B regularly posts fan submissions, leads me to believe that this is not a product rendering produced by Behringer. I could end up being wrong, but my thinking is sound at least.

Hm, ok. Not convinced in this case, but I see your point.

Different nuances. Arturia did reach out and brought Emilie in to discuss it but nothing came of it. The MicroFreak was released as a collaboration with Mutable. Emilie protested, Arturia changed the marketing and called her to smooth things over, everyoneā€™s happy.

1 Like

Seems pretty similar to me. Except no resolution yet and no product released. Agree to disagree I guess.

Well, Iā€™m not sure why Iā€™m bothering but Iā€™m just hanging out at work so I might as well because I am interested in a DF edition and would be horrified if it had corny-ass text like ā€œMurdered Outā€ on the front, so bad. I took screenshots of the official rendering for the TD-3 from the Behringer site and the image of the Murdered Out edition. Take a look at the degree of artifacting around the text. They are both fairly low resolution, but that is not what I am referring to. Specifically, artifacts as well as the degree of smoothing in critical areas like diagonal lines. This applies anywhere you look, these were just the examples I grabbed. The Murdered Out edition is quite clearly an edited image file. There is really nothing to be convinced/not convinced about, the proof is there for anyone who looks. I guess it could have been Behringer that made the image, but it would be very different to how they normally produce their product images.

I donā€™t disagree with your overall assertion but Iā€™m not sure what different levels of JPEG artifacting across two completely separate images in different resolutions on different websites proves.

1 Like

Well, I also looked at other B products on their website and found no artifacting like in the FB image. What I am saying is, the image of the Murdered Out edition on the FB page was created in a different way than their normal product images. The artifacting and level of smoothing tells me that the Murdered Out edition is an edited image, not an exported image of a CAD rendering.

What about other official images posted on facebook? Behringerā€™s website isnā€™t going to re-compress the images the same way (or at all) that facebook does.

Any image no matter how clean the source could have this artifacting when going through a CDNā€™s processing.

1 Like

Especially Facebook tend to compress the fuck out of any photo you postā€¦

1 Like

Sure, not here to argue, was just saying what my impressions are based on the available info. Time will tell.

1 Like

Uliā€™s response. Robin comes across pretty poorly in my opinion, essentially threatening Uli, slamming the business model, asking for $300,000 USD per year as an alternate to percentage based royalty, etc. Read through it, pretty weak sauce. I donā€™t know why he even published his original blog, why not just keep it confidential? Not surprised that Robin is salty about the low Behringer profit margins, as his for the DF mod are gigantic.

5 Likes

I was quite shocked by the way in which Robin talked about his incredible margins and all the money he could makeā€¦

3 Likes

I thought it was funny that he told Uli that he should be charging $300 per unit even without the DF mods because people would still pay it, and to cause people to respect it more. Jeez lol.

5 Likes

True we would pay 300 for it, but thatā€™s why this one is selling like water bottles at Burning Man. Itā€™s cheap and it works.

2 Likes

Lol yeahā€¦ I guess charging the maximum amount of money you think the customer will pay regardless of BOM and cost of production is one way of doing businessā€¦ the DF mod is hilariously overpriced. I really hope a DF edition comes out!

Edit: I am blown away that Robin thought he could get a running payment of $300k per year for doing essentially no work, that is unbelievable. The dude thought he had found the golden ticket!

4 Likes

Wow, not a good look for Robin in that exchange imo. As a rule of thumb, itā€™s never good to be so opinionated/critical of someoneā€™s business choices in writing like that. In general, criticism in text only leaves too much space/ambiguity for the receiver to read negatively, and honestly Robin sounds a bit arrogant and demeaning and possibly a bit greedy.
Idk, just my opinion, not trying to flame Robin but yeah, his mods are so beyond what I could pay it wouldā€™ve been nice for them to collaborate.
Ah well.

3 Likes