Benching gear - approach to multiple items

How do people approach using multiple bits of gear, especially when there is a cross over.

I have a few different groove boxes (M+, Force, SP404mk2 and TR8S (and a microfreak) some really nice gear, but I’ve recently found that I link it all up and then try to use all of it, but that it is possibly overkill to do that.

So then I strip it back, but feel guilty having things ‘on the floor’ not being used so either look to sell them (which I am trying to avoid as I often rebuy the at a loss) or bring them back onto the desk and go round the same circle-meaning I spend more time moving and connecting equipment than making music!!

What approach to other people use-have it all ready to go and connected but only use a few bits at a time? Have it all connected and all going? Just focus on single boxes, play for a while (hours, days, weeks) and then move to another? What works for you??

2 Likes

I’ve shuffled things around to see what works best together in terms of workflow, vibe, and sound, and ultimately came up with 2.5 “stations,” each with a sequencer, a polysynth, a monosynth, and drums/perc (and a mixer) (and outboard effects pedals). I’ve also bought and sold a lot of stuff.

Spot 1:

• Nord Lead 4R, sequenced/played by
  • Digitone Keys.
  • Circuit mono station.
  • Model:Samples.

Spot 2:

• Korg prologue, I play this but it’s also sequenced by a Launchpad pro mk3.
  • Micromonsta 2 and
  • SE-02, each sequenced by the Launchpad.
  • Drums/perc here is samples ITB w/ Maschine mk3 as the controller.

Spot 2.5:

• 104hp Eurorack and a couple semi-modulars sequenced by Korg SQ-64.
4 Likes

Personally I would have your core setup connected to a patchbay, normalled to your interface/mixer inputs. Then if you want to add something in/replace it, its as simple as connecting some patch cables.

6 Likes

Nice question this has been something i’ve been curious about other peoples use of gear. İ have a few setups aswell and sometimes i change that towards other use.

Setup 1: this is for Live looping and mostly technoish use

84hp 9u eurorack
Tr8s
Ableton + controllers
+
Screens for visuals

Setup 2:

Octatrack
Analogrytm
Minibrute2s
Boss Bx-16 for this setup

Setup 3: small setup
Td3
Circuit

Setup 4: my favorite

25 test equipments to ableton

5: i have a polyend tracker for outdoor use only for now

Well using All these together would be pointless and time to time my focus and direction is changing so are the equipment choices. İ want a setup to be easy to start making music so a maximum of 3 is really good for me.

1 Like

Def go for the old analogs for max gains!

1 Like

I’ve never been in such a position as having too much gear. But why not set yourself some arbitrary limits? “Today, I will make a track with only X, Y and Z”. I guess you already know from experience how many boxes are productive and don’t lead to mental overload? So stick to that. For example, I think two Elektrons are manageable but three is just that bit too much – unless one is doing something dead simple like the OT acting as a mixer for two other boxes.

1 Like

Having multiple grooveboxes it has taken me along time to get over the feeling of needing to use every track on the grooveboxes I’m using…

1 Like

This is how I have things set up. Add to this some kind of MIDI routing solution and you have a quite flexible set-up. I’ve actually really been enjoying using just one box to make an entire groove. It’s fun and simplifies a lot. But, the other night I was working on an A4 project and decided to see what would happen if I added the AR… now it’s an A4 and AR groove. But my set-up is not mobile – I work in my studio and don’t have a good or easy way to perform live. That may change in the future, and if it does, I might have to reconsider how I have things arranged.

My Elektron boxes are the only pieces of gear I’ve acquired in the last 10 years or so that I’ve never felt compelled to let go of, even if I spend weeks (or months) focused on just one and neglecting the others. The OT is the brain of my system so it’s often in the mix, even just for controlling the other devices, but otherwise I’ve been trying to let the musical ideas dictate which devices I work with. I totally get that guilty feeling, too, and with a lot of other stuff I’ve felt better letting it go than keeping it around if it’s not getting used. But it’s OK to just use one, or two, or however many make sense for your project – the next project or idea may mean a different box or combination is going to be the right one.

Yep, I too grab different combinations for different focuses, though only just in the last few weeks I’ve started sampling other gear into my Digitakt.

Often I’ll just grab a synth and play it on its own (or my semi-modular setup), and if I make a patch or sound effect or loop I like, I’ll sample it into the Digitakt.

I’ll then work on tracks or sets on the couch with Digitakt and Syntakt together, with DT pulling in and shaping sounds from other synths, plusother samples. I don’t have all that much gear, but especially with the semi-modulars it’s overwhelming to try to play and arrange with more than a couple hardware instruments at a time, the occasional improvised techno jam notwithstanding.

I saw a video where Stimming goes through his setup, and he keeps a very minimal desktop performance cluster and keeps other synths stacked away until he needs one for a particular track. I’m still much more in a learning phase with synths, but I like the idea of having a way to focus on different things in different moods and energy levels.

From the moment Sweetwater delivers the box with the new entry my artistry freezes completely and I devote all my energy to analyzing the structure of the new gear in detail. Depending on the type of gear and its complexity, this phase can last 2/3 days or even weeks.
Until I know 100% all its features it is not possible for me to integrate it into the workflow. Then, at the end of this procedure, the interaction with the other gear becomes absolutely natural.
in my opinion this workflow is the only one possible to not get lost behind the technical complications of the setup and to let my imagination run free

I recently put some of my gear on the pines. Boxed up my beloved mixer, 500 stuff, and moved the few pedals to a shelf. I am now down to the DN, 404MKII, plus accessories. It is amazing within a week of doing this how productive I’ve been. I kept thinking I can do all this with 2 pieces of gear so why not. It took out of sight to make it happen though.

Also, love the separate areas when applicable. I’m going to move a few pedals and my guitar amp to my chill spot for late-night relaxation!

2 Likes

It’s all about that patchbay. Use whatever combo you like, or even just one box, and stop the unplugging replugging moving storing nonsense. Best time saving stress eliminating thing I ever purchased for my studio.

I just decide what I’m going to use ahead of time, and only turn those devices on. And add others as I need them, and only very deliberately.

My strategy with benching gear is pretty simple. You show up, you put in the minutes, you get in the gym EVERY DAY, you’ll get time. If not, you’ll get benched, plain and simple. I don’t want to hear any excuses about last game, I mean session, either because we’ve all been there, we’ve all had back pain and torn ligaments but we have to play through it. Sometimes being benched is the best thing that can happen. Really can reframe a mindset.

I do this a lot. Focus on one piece of gear and make a track solely on that piece. It’s great for getting to know the limitations and workarounds for each bit of kit you own.

2 Likes