Best Albums / Tracks of the 90s

Well the metallic influence brought new blood into it I think. It’s a different genre of music, tho.

1 Like

My brother had a zine at the time and while he was interviewing them in their van after a show they threw him out when he asked them if Krishnas didn’t eat garlic and onions because it gave them gas…

Seeing Quicksand open for Shelter was a great show!

Ever hear that Ray side project with a drum machine? I forgot what it was called… they only released a 7" I believe. It was like a poor man’s Pailhead.

Oh yeah, Sleater Kinney is another great band, that does sound like an awesome show.

I saw the Blues Explosion at Saint Andrews Hall in Detroit a couple of times. One time, towards the end of the show, they brought out the bass player from Dub Narcotic Sound System and jammed a bit. And then other members of Dub Narcotic ran out. So it turned into this wild, long jam. Calvin Johnson was bopping around on stage and singing/yelling into the mic, and the drummers were trading off on the one kit. It ended up almost being mayhem at the end, but also the best kind of a party.

2 Likes

I’d have to sit and think for hours to decide on 20 favourite albums, but my actual favourite album of all time was made in the 90s, so here’s that

6 Likes

Forgot Beat Happening - s/t
:man_facepalming:

1 Like

I know, right! I could probably list all of Calvins projects, because I also forgot to list The Halo Benders. They have some of my favorite indie rock albums of that era. When I saw Built to Spill recently they busted out a Halo Benders tune and it was like the icing the cake.

1 Like

Enigma Albums 1 and 2

Enigma - MCMXC a.D (1990)
Enigma - The Cross of Changes (1993)

3 Likes

So so soooo much great stuff.

The only one I found missing:

Entire album was on repeat all the time

4 Likes

I world listen to the Enigma MCMXC cassette when I went to bed every night around age 13 thinking about that woman from the Sadness video wisking me away from suburban hell to some abandoned castle in the south of France where monks would apply saaves to heal my discontent.

2 Likes

So many excellent releases on this thread already so won’t repeat them. Here are a some of my favourites that don’t appear to have been mentioned yet.

Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves
Wagon Christ - Throbbing Pouch
The Black Dog - Spanners
F.U.S.E. - Dimension Intrusion
Reload - A Collection Of Short Stories
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia
Method Man - Tical
Seefeel - Succour
Global Communication - 76:14

3 Likes

I believe Moss Icon was late 80s not 90s and if that’s the case this is likely my favorite hardcore record from the 90s. Universal Order of Armegeddon was pretty good too… both bands put on amazing shows.

Early metallic HC were great with bands like Ringworm, Unbroken, Integrity, Neurosis etc.

FTFY

As without wishing to start a fight about this, because guidelines :tongue: , but as the best 7 years of music is widely accepted 1 as being '77-'84 and the 90s technically aren’t in that time window it’s evidently a problematic statement … or … you’re just younger and have listened within the barren ‘MIDI years’ :loopy:

By some people of my age

2 Likes

I agree, 77-84 was probably the peak of musical innovation and sheer quantity of quality music being made. I think perhaps a lot of 90’s music represented the logical conclusion of many of the themes and ideas first formed in that earlier period.

3 Likes

Pearl Jam - Ten
Pearl Jam - Vs
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

1 Like

Tried to add some I hadn’t seen posted with the exception of SY-goo, I just love it too much
Sonic Youth - Goo
Hanadensha - Narcotic Guitar
Black Sheep - Wolf in Sheeps Clothing
Rollerskate Skinny - Horsedrawn Wishes
Sleep - Holy Mountain
Fu Manchu - The Action Is GO
Project Blowed
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Kool Keith - Black Elvis
Rhythm and Sound
Drexciya - Deep Sea Dweller

3 Likes

Orbital - brown, snivilisation, insides, middle of knowhere
Underworld - dubnobasswithmyheadman, second toughest, beaucoup fish
Plastikman - artifakts bc
Luke slater - freek funk
Leftfield - leftism
Massive attack - protection, mezzanine
Goldie - timeless
Roni size and reprazent - new forms
4 hero - two pages
Bjork - homogenic, post
Moby - everything is wrong, play
Depeche - violator
Erasure- chorus
Pet shop boys - behaviour
The las - the las
Finitribe- unexpected groovy treat
Suede - suede, dog man star
REM - out of time, automatic for the people, monster, new adventures in hi fi
Placebo - placebo
Madonna - ray of light
Flaming lips - the soft bulletin
Autechre - tri repatae
Orb - adventures beyond the ultraworld
Prodigy - music for the jilted generation, fat of the land
Sinead O’Connor- I do not want what I haven’t got
Everything but the girl- walking wounded
FSOL- lifeforms, dead cities

3 Likes

I won’t die on the hill of the 90’s being the best decade of music but it was an incredibly diverse decade in terms of genre. Just a casual look at these lists kind of tells the tale. From my own experience it has been a great decade to return to and discover things I missed the first go round. I was primarily an indie rock and to a lesser extent, hip hop fan at the time so it is a joy to go back and deep dive into an artists catalog (Portishead is a prime example).

1 Like

Hear the drummer get wicked !

1 Like

SAME.
Back then I was heavily into the indy rock/psychelic-ish bands, and lots of hip hop.
I’m a late bloomer when it comes to electronic music.

1 Like