Best match with the Analog 4

Hello all, finally saved up enough money to purchase my first two Elektrons. The Analog 4 is what I’ll be getting for sure but I can’t decide what drum machine to match it up with. The Analog Rytm seems like an A4 with pads on it, are they pretty much the same? I feel like the MachineDrum would seem cool with its ability to sequence external gear and sample but may be a little outdated. I know this question has been asked before, I just don’t know what to choose. Does the AR have a more modern sequencer? Any help from you more experienced owners would be great, thanks:)

Hi

I’d recommend getting an AR since the sequencers are pretty much the same, you’ll quickly develop a nice workflow. I dont’ know much about the monomachine, just that it’s digital as opposed to the AR(analog). For me its a no brainer but then if you want to save a bit of cash…

To me the Octatrack paired with the A4 (or AK) satisfies the two big families of synthesis based on “transformation” and “direct synthesis”… but it’s really subjective… :wink:

I used to have both, OT and AR next to my A4.
Now I only use my AR and A4. The sequencer is the same, it makes it very ‘light’ to make music. Together, it actually feels like 1 instrument.

The OT was very disappointing to me. Digital filters, weird sequencer, overcomplex. I don’t need more than AR can do, the A4 is the basis of my tunes, supported by minimal beats, that can be bended by using amazing macro possibilities (scenes and performances) of the AR.

Counter Point:

A4 + Tempest, absolute killer combo for me, what each lacks the other has, both are quick and easy (relatively).

Their sounds are different enough and so very complimentary imo,
Each can do drums and synths very well.

So quite often i have 4 drum sound and 2 synths on the T and 2 + 2 on the A.
I have my T running into my A so I can add the A’s effects.

Funnily neither talks midi well but one spits cv and the other accepts it, nice!

Can someone from DSI marry someone from Elektron so we can get a hybrid of those 2?

PS: I dont doubt the A4 +AR isnt a great combo.

there they are side by side,

(sadly the OT gets left out for being the awkward middle child, but hopefully after being counseled by rusty it can join the fun) :heart:

The question has been asked before, but only about other peoples’ situations, not about yours.

The trick is to think about what you need and want, not about what other people chose. So…

What kind of music are you planning to make?
What musical experience do you have?
What other gear do you have?
Why do you need to spend more money on gear?
Do you have musical collaborators? If so, what gear are they using?
Will you be playing live, or composing in a studio, or other scenario?
Do you have the time to learn two new instruments at the same time?

Why are you not considering gear from other manufacturers?
Why are you set on the Analog Four?
Between the MD and the AR, which one sounds better to you?

If you ask people to recommend gear without answering these questions, you are asking them “what gear should I buy to impress you?” not “what gear should I buy to make music?”. Which is OK, if you understand that that is what you’re doing.

If you have no plans on using the CV outputs on Analog Four, adding a Nord Drum 1 ($150-$200 used) or Nord Drum 2 ($450 open box with warranty from some retailers) is a great way to add drums to A4’s sequencer.
All you need is two cheap TRS insert cables to send the CV outs to ND’s trigger inputs, and a midi cable to send program change.

Sequencing on the A4 CV track is a little different than the 4 voice tracks as you have to parameter lock each of the 4 CV outs for each step, but it’s absolutely worth doing. In fact, it made me better at using my A4, as I had to quickly get hip to copy/pasting trigs.
And you can get all CV 4 outputs sending at the same time on a single step (less limiting than “sound locks”). Routing ND’s audio output back into the A4 external input for parameter locked FX and pan on the FX track brings the two nicely together.

Worth considering as it nicely fills out the A4’s capabilities.

1 Like

Wow, I’m very impressed by this community. Thank you so much for all the replies, some of you have really strong points. I noticed that not one of you even mentioned the MachineDrum, that says a lot. Someone had suggested that I only buy one Elektron and focus on learning that one box. Thing is the only other box I own is the Electribe 2, it’s a fun box but very limited so my plan is to get 2 Electrons with similar work flows and then match my Electribe 2 with the sampler version when it releases. This way I’m only learning two operating systems. Feed back would be greatly appreciated:)

No, no, no…the MD is beast… :alien: .
Many years ago i got to use a friends for 3+ mths, was my intro to Elektron :slight_smile:

Anyway whats with the “only learn 2”

I’m sure you can do better :+1:

The OT is my favorite one.
Like Peter said, what are you trying do, whats the goal.
Although the A4 and AR make an insane combo, the OT sequences external gear really nicely, goes much deeper with sampling/playback, and the scenes with the crossfader is just dreamy. I personally like the effects as well as the digital filter. For my the OT does 3 things, sequence, mixes all things together, as well as handles sampling/playback.

If you’re not needing to sequence other gear and the crossfader/fx/mixing box is not really what your after, the go with the AR.
The AR is a bad ass drum machine, and seeing that it’s layout and OS structure is similar to the A4, they make a great team.
The AR doesn’t get near as complex synthesis as the A4, but it plays samples.
Also I find the AR much more performance friendly.
Between the Pads mutes, scenes, and perf mode, you can really jam on that thing!