Best option to get "the Roland SH sound"

The cheapest : SH01A. From what I heard its a good emulation.
BUT : You said the SH01A didn’t make you happy so you need a real spot on thing. So it leaves it to buy a OG Roland SH101/MC202 or from my hearing I really liked the sound of the new System-500 especially the 505-Filter sounds great, but yeah this will get expensive and with the caveats of Eurorack.

1 Like

The System-1 and the TR-8 were 96k only when they first launched. They were locked to that so if you used them as a soundcard for audio over USB, you had to run your DAW in 96k. They introduced 48 and 44.1 as options in a software update.

2 Likes

YMMV, but IMHO in general Gordon Reid does know what he’s talking about (emphasis added):

“For years, aficionados have been demanding that Roland re-release instruments such as the SH-101, but when the company does so — albeit in a different form and with enhanced facilities — many of the same people seem intent on objecting. Fortunately, they’re wrong. Roland have managed to incorporate many valuable new facilities — enhanced voicing, Poly mode, the polyphonic sequencer, Chord mode, patch and sequencer memories, an improved arpeggiator, MIDI, audio over USB and more — while leaving the SH-01A’s essential 101-iness unscathed. You have to dig deep to find differences and, while there are edge cases — a slightly longer time constant here, a different scale factor there — I would be surprised if many could tell the difference between the two in a bedroom, let alone on stage or in a mix. Whether some people like it or not, the SH-01A is a fine synthesizer, and tremendous value when compared with the second-hand prices of its inspiration.”

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-sh-01a

7 Likes

Missed that … thanks for the info :+1:

2 Likes

I think you’re disapoointment in the 01 is knowing it’s digital. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that feeling; you know the original is out there and it’s going to be different (when untreated, in your studio)…the real deal.

But if you really can’t bring yourself to get the OG, by all accounts the 01 gets the job done (especially in a mix).

Do you know anyone with a 101 with which you can compare side by side an 01, just to know, to relieve the nagging whether the OG is the thing for you?

No unfortunately not. You’re probably right. And as I said, regarding form factor I was fine with it.
I guess I give it another shot. You can get it for 300 now.
Maybe it is the knowing that it’s digital. But when I listen to demos of SH101, SH2, System 100 etc., even System 500 I always believe I hear a difference to the ACB products. Just pure Saw wave + filter sweep.

I completely admit that it won’t make a difference in a mix, and certainly not make the difference if a track is good or not :wink:

Gilbert?

1 Like

I’ve recently been going through this with the Juno 60. I really think that once you’re sold on the particular magic of a sound, only that instrument will do it! Hence why you can’t decide on a modern recreation. My advice would be to suck it up and save for the real deal.

Personally, I’m making do with my Peak emulating Juno stuff for now, and trying to satisfy myself that the ability to do a lot more with it is good…

-fingers in ears definitely going to end up buying an SH01A at some point-

1 Like

Most crucial point here.

But i totally understand your struggle - the struggle is real. I believe over headphones untreated the two are different. If that difference is so important for you then wait for the OG: itll be so much sweeter when it comes.

If you want something real analogue and real vintage with that “liquid” Roland filter sound, then pick up an Alpha Juno.

Excellent synth, highly underappreciated, and still reasonably priced on the second-hand market! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try this blind comparison from a Gearslutz thread.

Comparison .wav

The two synths are always in the same order. Decide if it’s the SH-101 first, or the SH-01A first.

I could tell, but it’s extremely close on the vast majority of patches and I found it interesting how many people in the original thread got it wrong.

2 Likes

Add some fx, and other instruments in the mix, and the two are even closer.

2 Likes

202 (with Kenton sequencer mod) bassline cv sequenced by A4

2 Likes

I’m keen on the Bass Station 2 & Metropolis, I think either would be great. Dislike the modern Roland ACB stuff very much.

Obviously Berlinger are doing a 101 analogue clone which is out very soon, not heard it though.

Atlantis :wink:
I guess the Roland ACB is closer as these two.
But they are analog, for what it’s worth

I know. Usually I would be the first one to sign this statement :slight_smile:
Not sure why I’m believing so hard in the difference. Probably this analog vs digital thing which was discussed so often that it influences me subconsciously

1 Like

That begs the question, which is more important? Getting as close to the SH sound as you can, or getting as close as analog will get you?

2 Likes

It does :slight_smile:

hehehe.

1 Like

The one I use is the one I can afford.
Sh01a is fine , if it’s not ‘close enough’ then buy a sh101 , sh2 , either i’m Limited by budget or accept the price of the authentic item and buy it.

Whichever you buy won’t write melodies , tunes , make you successful…it’s the actual work you put in , … no one will turn off you music or walk out of a gig if they see you using a boutique or behringer instead of an official og Roland sh synth. … i’m more likely to leave if I hear yet another poor attempt at a boards of Canada or an aphex track imitation .

So , cheap or expensive gives you the options … I’d go with sh01a as it also does nice chords and has midi cc.

4 Likes