Best option to get "the Roland SH sound"

That’s not what I’m asking for here :wink:
I’m happy with my melodies actually. And I enjoy imitating Aphex and BOC. Makes me happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup , so I added bit at bottom .

Truth.

Is a piece of gear someones favorite because it is a priori or because it was used in one’s favorite music?

It’s about a special kind of sound. And a family of synths that seem to be all sweetspot. Where you can turn knobs and won’t be able to make it sound bad :slight_smile:
As mentioned before: When I listen to demos of various Rolands single vco Saw + Filtersweep, and the Bass sounds they produce, I think this is how I want my basses to sound. There is something about the envelopes, too…

Anyway. I guess I give the boutique another shot and try to trust my ears :slight_smile: I’m a bit scared of vintage gear

1 Like

Popped up on my youtube today. This is a nice example of what I’m talking about

This is why you need to probably buy an OG 101 - the sound plus the full size interface just lets you play. (And you can’t strap the 101a across your body for some keytar action - take that ACB!)

1 Like

Haha. Best argument.
That Mathew Jonson video is really nice

1 Like

I would say one thing - be patient. Ok, two things. Be patient and wait to find a cheap OG. It amazes me sometimes how cheaply they go for sometimes on eBay. I say you can get an OG for less or same money as a Manther if your willing to be patient in a few auctions.

I’ve seen them go for 450 - 599 at the low end. 450 might have a pot missing that you can replace over time via eBay. 599 is perfect cond and only 50 quid more than a Manther.

1 Like

These two could also be a nice combo together with the A4 and a keystep (which I both own).
I have a 32 hp case, but these two would already be 650 + 150 that I spent for the case… Very questionable. And I still would fill the last 12 hp :wink:

That seems affordable. When I looked for them yesterday they were about between 800 - 1200

Yeah and 650 + 150 gets you an OG keytar in perfect cond. Your making it too complicated dude. Just watch the Mathew Johnson on repeat until you know where you’re money really needs to go.

3 Likes

Thanks. Then this will be my mission for this week

1 Like

It’s just sooo playable and musical - don’t accept imitations - once you have one you will wonder why you even went through this distraction. I also believe that the sh101a is pretty good but you’ve tried and didn’t fall in love and there are some differences with the cv/gate ports between the two once you get into driving the sequencer from external (I think).

2 Likes

Yeah I admit, I can’t hear much of a difference. And I don’t know which is which, I only have an assumption.
Both sound great in this example, that’s the main point

Yeah, and I think if the question is “which do you prefer the sound of most often” rather than “which do you think is the analogue one” it matters even less. Several people in that thread stated a preference for the one that turned out to be the SH-01A.

I think having poly, unison. chord mode, patch memory, wider range LFO etc., without losing any of the original sound characteristics, probably makes the 01A the better synth 99.9% of the time. But I wouldn’t blame anyone for wanting the original form factor, looks, CV/gate in, etc of the 101. And if you want a keytar attachment so you can play it while skateboarding, well, there’s only one choice.

6 Likes

I owned a blue SH101 for few years…it was an awesome and beautiful beast. Unfortunately I sold it when I moved oversea. Now I use an Atlantis and it is a pretty damn amazing replacement. In the near future I plan to sequence it with the mono station. Bass station is a real good analog so I hope its little brother will be as good. I don’t expect it to be as punchy and screamy as the Atlantis tho.

Note:The TAL baseline VST is also very good but it misses real knobs …

3 Likes

hey did you know this one, but it’s a kit : https://shop.re-303.com/product/gilbert-the-inspired-monosynth-kit/

Always wanted a sh-101 for the sound and the sequencer (that you can trigger). Tried alot of stuff. BS II, Manther, SH-09,JX-3P, Dominion 1 & Club, Sh-01a… some sound really good but different than a 101. Most dont do the 101 seq thing that i would like (just midi clock), exept jx-3p (but no portamento and its poly) and Manther (but i hated that. So full of bugs and problems).
Few months ago i finally got the real deal, and i have to say… if you want an 101, get an 101. It just has the magic!

4 Likes

I own a SH101.

when I listen to the digital knock offs on youtube… I cannot, repeat I cannot hear a damn difference.

2 Likes

I have Atlantis, and it does very well for me. If you wanted to go Atlantis, but needed the sequencer, you could pair it with Mutable Instruments Yarns or Copper Traces SEEK.

I have used the SH-101 before at a friend’s place, and it did have some magic. The Atlantis also has some magic, but is a little bit more stable than my friend’s SH-101. That thing was wobbly, but it added character for sure.

If I’d find a cheap atlantis, it also might be an option. Sounds different, but has does it’s own magic.
Sequencing would be no problem with A4 and keystep, but Atlantis + case is still an expensive solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Love reading your opinions. Will think about it a bit more and watch the second hand prices. Let’s see :slight_smile: