Best option to get "the Roland SH sound"

That Mathew Jonson video was cool. :+1:

2 Likes

700€ for Atlantis + 120€ Doepfer Case vs 349€ for SH01a

I sold my System 1m, but SH01a is still here. The Mini Jacks are crap, the UI not ideal, but it sits very well in a mix and is fun to use. The form factor is also great, If you have no space. But you know this, you already had one.

2 Likes

Yes a new atlantis makes no sense. Too overpriced

1 Like

Main difference to me is that one of them clicks when there’s zero release. I’d want the one that didn’t!

1 Like

Referring to the crappy analog one there no doubt :rofl:

2 Likes

Probably is!!

Would choose 01a anyway, because £

What’s the verdict on the Roland cloud sh101 ?

Manther and Atlantis user here. Atlantis sounds really good, but the form factor is a little awkward and it’s expensive and likely to lead to eurocrack addiction.

Manther is its own thing, much more aggressive and noisy than a 101 IMO. And it has some…issues (although I generally have a more positive appraisal of the synth than a lot of others).

I’m saving up for a real 101, cause like the song says “ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby” :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds good, but Roland sucks at writing nice software.

1 Like

How does everyone feel about how convincing the Aira, et al, are at replicating the portamento of the actual 101/202? The portamento and the rubbery filter of the originals always stuck out in a mix for me.

1 Like

Great sound, terrible gui. And very cpu heavy. TAL Bassline is the better option imo

2 Likes

I create some very SH101 sounds using my DPO and MI Ripples.

For me all the clone stuff doesn’t do it. As you’ve experienced. So I focus on buying quality instead of trying to mimick old gear. But turns out when you buy quality it often can do what you want in terms of that sound.

I would love an Atlantis but I have absolutely no more space, and I can’t keep spending at the rate I have been - it’s ridiculous.

Ripples sounds very Roland indeed. I really liked it.

I’d say just get the real thing. it’s worth it (source: I own SH5/7/101).

they’re all pretty reliable instruments, for the most part. and the SH09/2/101 aren’t terribly expensive. also chances are if you don’t like it (yeah, right), you can re-sell it without losing any cash.

the SH series really have a very beautiful sound, but they’re also incredibly inspiring to play. the interfaces just speak to you. everything is logically laid out, there’s no hidden layers, menus or pages to sort through; you glance at it and know exactly what’s going on. and I’ll say this: when you grab a knob or switch on a Roland SH synth (excluding the 101 maybe…), you’ll think the quality of everything made these days is garbage. those suckers are SOLID. and don’t get me started on the smell…

long story short: working with these instruments just takes over you. I can’t recommend enough that you experience using the real deal.

7 Likes

Crazy. There is a SH09 in my little bavarian home city… There can’t be too many synth fans there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DO IT (plus 20 characters)

3 Likes

I felt the same way and finally sprung for a SH-101 a year ago and will NEVER be sorry I did.
Nobody has mentioned the Tubbutech upgrade here? I have the sh-1oh1 and it’s awesome! Being able to use midi and store all the patterns and use the clock dividers takes jamming on this to the next level! I also picked up the stereoping controller but still need to build it but with the new envelopes having dedicated knobs?! Bulletproof!

1 Like

I remember the SH09 being a bit of a bass monster. You’ll want to avoid this if you’re allergic to synths that rattle your windows.

3 Likes

Ripples is indeed a Roland cloned Filter.

Reverb.com has one for 900€+130€ shipping:

1 Like