Best samples packs for techno (Digitakt)

Hi there,

I am a techno producer (no surprise with my nickname :slight_smile:) and I just got a Digitakt (already have A4/DN so I am not new to the Elektron world) and I have 2 questions:

1. Is it better to buy samples packs made specificaly for Digitakt or doesn’t it matter ? (I bought plenty of samples for Ableton)
  2. Do you guys have some favourite sample packs (oneshots) for techno production ? (Hypnotic, Raw, Detroit)

Cheers!

Hi. It really doesn’t matter as soon the sample has been captured in the right way, a processed sample with hardware outboard maybe is a plus. I have no favorite sample packs but i really like loopcloud. You should check Dave Mech aswell.

Reimann has lots to choose from, there is one on free offer at the moment…check it out:

2 Likes

Didn’t know Dave released some ! Would love to get them and support his work !

Yes I bought their techno bundle during black friday ! Nice to read they are worth it !

1 Like

Electronisounds.com have some good Digitakt sound pack (samples + sysex)

3 Likes

blatant self promo incoming

there’s a lot in here that is right for techno of all flavors and more experimental/aggressive styles but w/a sampler you can turn these sounds into so many things.

none of this is designed for any particular sampler though there are some sample chains i made for octatrack use.

that being said the idea is to comb through the massive pile of one shots and make your own kits for whatever software/hardware things you use.

it’s only $10 for 1800 one shots

5 Likes

Lots of folks swear by Samples from Mars, who primarily sample classic drum machines with care. They have a few free packs, and have occasional sales (like Black Friday) where offer their big database for 50 USD.

It took me a while to realize that the DT can dramatically transform its factory samples to adapt to my needs, and that it’s very fun to design sounds with synths to sample in. Lovely machine, hope you enjoy it!

PS To answer your question, the Elektron Transfer app formats files in the correct way to run on the Digitakt as it transfers them over (16 bit 48KHz, and it accepts .wav, .aif, .mp3, and even .zip files, so no worries about getting samples specially formatted for it.

2 Likes

Thanks gonna give them a listen !

1 Like

Ok great, thanks !

No need to buy dt tailored samples because it just plays wav’s as every other device. The only things to take in account:

• samples need to be mono and if not they will be summed mono. So if you have a sample pack with nice stereo information you wil loose it so better to have mono ones to begin with.
  • it’s nice to transfer loop samples with the bpm in their file name
  • Digitakt has a scale function with latest update so it’s handy to transfer single note instrument samples in C so the chromatic keyboard plays accordingly to scales
1 Like

I’ve read a lot of things and watched lots of videos too (as an interesting one from Dave Mech !) and what I am trying to do is :

• Browsing all my one shots sample packs (I got a few gigabytes of samples and it takes some times) and only copy the ones I love into a “Digitakt Folder” (having subfolders for any drums types (kick, hats, snare, claps, percs, shakers, stabs, bass, synths)
  • I am copying some full kits I got for 707/808/909

What is a bit scary is that I only did kicks/hats and the 3 kits and it’s already 120Mo of storage. (mostly because of the 909 kit which is 50Mo alone)

What’s your opinion about it ?

GOLDBABY comes to mind.
Excellent sample libraries.

I recently made a techno pack available on my synthgroups page

This is a techno construction kit containing 128 analog, FM and digital samples including a wide selection of hard-hitting techno drums and synth sounds (kick, snares, claps, percussion, hats, cymbals, synth basses and synth leads). The samples are formatted in both mono (16-bit, 48kHz) and stereo (24-bit, 48kHz).

https://synthgroups.com/members/alex/activity/1096/

Enjoy :blush:

4 Likes

I think thats a good way to build your personal sound. If you already have that many samples it doesn’t make sense to buy another pack.
Maybe the samplesize gets smaller if you convert them to mono before copying.

Thanks! gonna check this out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Preparing your sample folders for the digitakt can definitely take some time and thought. I recently started over from scratch and just imported a minimal set of samples (around 40 “core samples” that I use all the time and assign to fixed sample slots). Then I trimmed down all the sub folders quite a bit (e.g. before I had +50 chords, now just 5). Not only does this make the music making process a lot quicker, you also learn to get more creative and better at sound design. So I would suggest to start with a small sample set and carefully expand overtime, otherwise you’re just gonna spend time browsing samples instead of making sick techno bangers.

1 Like

all the samples from mars on special… now (perpetual)

Game Over

1 Like

everything by @Claid

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like