Best soundtracks/sounding sci-fi shows

Yeah, it’s absolutely bonkers. I almost wish it was a bit tamer so more people would find it palatable, but otoh you’d have to rewrite Stan completely and his stuff is hilarious.

2 Likes

I think Baywatch/Baywatch Nights had great soundtracks, and yes I think Baywatch is a Sci-Fi show. Every episode has minutes long montage clips set to popular electronic/pop music and its shot in 35mm film and highly insane. It was the most popular syndicated show of all time and insanely popular, but now it seems buried and forgotten, but I never forgot.

2 Likes

I love Waterworld though not all of its soundtrack, but I’ve always adored this piece -

Beautiful scene and tune, those bells are just gorgeous.

Edit: Sorry, not a show.

And 790-792, so much of that show was absolute bonkers.

Did the team go onto do anything else of note?

I enjoyed the Devs soundtrack, but i’m a sucker for Garland / Salisbury / Barrow .

1 Like

Definitely one of the best anime series made and nice soundtrack as well.

By this point English dubs are certainly their own thing, with their own established culture (and tropes passed down among generations(!) of voice actors)

Also not a fan, really.

Oddly I do love watching foreign dubs of English language productions and their own established characterization, though! The dubs for Spanish-speakers, Mexico-based production and their tropes can be fun to recognize and how new stories get molded into archetypes.

1 Like

I have never seen a bad dub of the simpsons in any language, all the special features dubs in foreign language are entertaining for one reason or another.

1 Like

Thanks for your post! I remember when Baywatch was on I never watched it and thought it was probably a dumb show about pretty people in swimsuits. It’s pretty mindblowing to have something recontextualized so dramatically. I really appreciate shows which use TV as a visual medium. If you think about it, a lot of comedy or drama shows would work pretty well as radio plays. I kind of watch TV like an alien. There are shows I like because I enjoy the establishing shots and the film grain. I’m going to check Baywatch out!

Watched some B5 last night. I think if you are going for the more Tangerine Dream-like soundtrack stuff the earlier seasons are the go-to. There’s a lot of orchestral stuff as I’m finishing off the 4th season. (I have seen it before when it was actually airing, so this is the long-anticipated rewatch.) It’s also fun if you are an Amiga fan 'cause you can enjoy all the Video Toaster special effects.

1 Like

I should find one with Pedro Chespirito.

1 Like

this bart is so good I’m dying. they’re all so good it’s like my ears don’t know what to do since I know the episode so well in english

mmmm mushi mai

2 Likes

…my son is totally into undubbed japanese anime…
thanx for leading me to some deeper understanding, since i always ask him why he prefers the original…he’s too young to nail it the way u did…but must be that…

maaayyybee i get to do a scifi score end of this year…please all, cross ur fingers for me…

for tonight, i gonna watch annihilation again…what a score…
and puh, some of u really like this farscape thing…!?..to me, that’s all best example of how to ruin scoring for scifi…

2 Likes

Voice acting is something that Japanese actors take a lot of pride in. It’s like how musicians work cheap sometimes just for the pride of making music, some of the most famous voice actors work at like an hourly rate and it’s not a very good one. There are people who cross over between tv/movie and voice acting - not just idol types but real actors who are good live actors lend their voices to anime. This one guy Kenjiro Tsuda (Tsuda Kenjiro) has so much personality it’s really incredible to see him do live acting and voice acting. He plays gangster characters a lot because of his voice, this comedy “way of the house husband” or “gokushufudou” the title has a pun built into it because it has to do with him being a former gangster (yakuza) boss and the word goku has to do with that and shufu is like a housewife basically, then dou is usually an ending attached to something like Bushido or Aikido it’s “the way of” making it a school of thought not just a method of, so if you take it literally it’s the way of the gangster house husband. So anyways it’s a comedy for adults and it’s hilarious because he’s a house-husband but still does everything like a gangster and scares the neighbors just by being rough around the edges but he cooks like a pro and cleans like nobodys business. Anyways, the voice actor did a promotional live action bit that was so good, it was done in support of some milestone release of the manga and I literally thought “I would watch this if it were a live action show”, I’ll link it and a clip from the anime and live action promo:

anime:

Live promo:

the anime is all skits of like 3-4 minutes which is probably why the humor works. As a sit com length show I don’t know if it would play as well.

Serial Experiments: Lain has amazing sound design and music

4 Likes

Yes.

Send in a new treatment that sounds like Farscape and watch the dollars roll.

1 Like

Jonny Quest Original Television Soundtrack

…farscape looks even a little more cheesy cringy than it sounds…to me…
buck rogers was at least funny…

sonically and storywise i’m really way more into annihilation and that “alien” climax moment in it’s soundtrack…that feels/translates otherworldly and scifi for “real”…to me…just came back from there…

gonna start sketchin’ some subconcious snippets from the outervoid soonish…

A lot of people have this kind of reaction. I found it helps to pay attention to what they were doing. The whole Henson angle was a big deal, and well done. The sound isn’t something I’d put on to listen to, but it works for the show. I think it’s well done in that regard.

1 Like

…oh…henson…jim henson?..i adore this guy…and now, learning farscape was also one of his creations, that strange first quick association sparkle i had with dark crystal while checking it out makes totally sense…
but never the less, from a first and second glance, farscape looked and sounded far out and not appealin to me…seems the only project that never made it to europe for some reason…

I thought Good Time had really great music all the way through! The actual standalone soundtrack isn’t quite the same, but almost.

Low quality upload, but you get the idea. The movie itself isn’t sci-fi, but the music could be I guess.

Well… Brain Henson. This was after Jim passed.