Best source for Overbridge workflow tutorials?

Is there a good resource that comprehensively walks through all the functionality and potential workflow/applications for Overbridge?

I feel I only have a basic understanding of what is possible re. DAW. integration and would really appreciate some video tutorials on the subject — so that I can create an efficient workflow for taking song ideas from the DT into the DAW fro completion.

Many thanks in advance!:pray:

This was a nice video

2 Likes

My system has always been easy and simple. Make the loop on my device. Record to my Daw, 1st loop is just as is, then do a bunch of tweaking for however long you want. Slice it up and sequence via your DAW. Repeat for other hardware if you so desire.

For computer/hardware performances. Have every device doing it’s own loops and sequences standalone. The only integration you need is a MIDI signal for tempo and start/stop. Elektron boxes have more than enough LFOs / Mods to get the job done.

Don’t overcomplicate

3 Likes

That’s a cool video :slight_smile:

My workflow with the DT and Overbridge is a bit different, and I’ll be making a YT video to explain it soon (well “soon” is relative, as I’ve been a bit lazy lately :slight_smile: damn you Elden Ring ).

In a nutshell, I route all audio through the VST, and record the mains. While I can record to separate tracks when needed, I find that it adds more overhead than it’s worth. It’s very easy to toggle mutes, and record any clip you need.

IOW - I find that once I add all the subtle things that I want in the DT, it’s the best tool for the job (percussion/drums).

I massively concur.

I spent (wasted?) an extraordinary amount of time trying to use Overbridge to capture my performances/patterns from the DT and DT but I just couldn’t get it to a place that I was happy with. Specifically the existential problem of the FX track! ie… capturing the tracks without their individual FX just doesn’t really work for me. The FX are a big part of the sound of the machine. You end up trying to recreate this stuff in the DAW but it doesn’t sound as good and at some point you wonder what then the point is of being OTB if you’re making work rather than saving time/sounding better, etc.

The other thing for me is that the straight digital pipe out the boxes sounds, not surprisingly, more like ITB digital and, subtly of course, lacks the character, bite and punch of taking the buss out of the converters.

Then of course there were sync issues, and trying to not have a DAW arrangement that’s a total mess and head f### etc! Another plus is by just recording the tracks from the main out, you bypass the OB mono track problem that you have with the DT.

After all of this, the best solution I could decide upon - and all the solutions are a compromise because what I’d really want is individual analogue outs - is going old school - recording each track into the DAW separately. Generally by starting with the metronome and quickly turning it off (be REALLY handy if we could just have a count-in only). This is course is painstaking and a bit of PITA especially when you want to a) capture a performance b) move between patterns. I have a semi-solution to a) with my setup, which is that I can also capture using MIDI clock start from REAPER to a pretty good degree of accuracy. So in this way if some tracks need to be performed I can “capture in context” with the rest of the tracks already recorded, if that makes sense (using a REAPER MIDI clock JS plugin to make this part workable). And you can also start this with the metronome by way of a reference/backup.

Anyway, that’s my take on a workflow that generally works. It’s the way I’ve most been able to capture the sound of the boxes in the DAW and they still sound like the main out of the boxes, both in terms of tight timing and sonics. I’m using nice Prism converters which probably helps FWIW but I’m sure that’s just icing on the cake.

Hope that all makes some sense and is helpful to someone maybe… : )