Better midi through chemistry (between the digitakt and syntakt)

Hello fellow humanoids, assistance is required.

Is there any way I can optimize the use of the Digitakt and Syntakt’s midi machines to control my other synths? I’m trying to squeeze as much steps as possible out of the Takts’ sequencers… sort of.

Check out the diagram I made. Most of the other synths have send and receive ports and I also have a midi thru splitter.

Currently, only one midi machine is being used on the digitakt to transfer notes from the keystep to the syntakt, and from there to the other synths.

I’m hoping to find a way to add the digitakt’s other midi machines as additional sequencing lanes for the same destinations. This will enable me to create longer or variable midi parts for the receiving synths.

For example: Erica synths’ db-01 will receive channel 6 from both machines, and I will mute or mix the channels on each takt.

I can’t figure out how to achieve this along with the notes sent by the keyboard. What am I missing? Thanks for your help!

Hi and welcome! At first glance, I wonder: why not put the Syntakt downstream of the midi splitter, and use the Syntakt midi thru for another machine if needed? Then the Digitakt would go directly to the other boxes. With the keyboard playing to the DT’s autochannel (10 by default I think), it should reach everything.

2 Likes

Did you set the auto channel on both Takts to match the Keystep channel? I believe if you did that, everything should be working as you’ve described. I typically only use one master to control everything, this setup looks kinda like the Takts are co-mastering, have not tried this so I’m not aware of any conflicts that arise or not.

Did you actually set things up and try it out? Any actual issue?

1 Like

A couple things come to mind.
A midi router is very useful vs a thru box.
You can get old cheap ones that don’t hook up to a computer that offer presets that offer presets that work great for $60.
Or you can get something new that lets you program specific midi functions and block others.

MIDI routers are fantastic and simple.
As said above, understanding Auto Channels and different configurations may be all you need.

If you really want to be specialized with midi, definitely check out Bomes midi translator, or even a BomeBox.
The Swiss Army knife of midi.

1 Like

Hi, yes, this is my current set-up. I don’t have any issues getting the keystep notes to the rest of the synths with this set-up. The digitakt is the master, and the syntakt transfers the notes via the auto channel. I may have not explained my idea properly. With this set up I can only use the syntakt to sequence the other synths. I would like to find a solution in which I can use both Takts to sequence all the other synths.

I will try this solution and report back. Thank you for the idea :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check these boxes out.

1 Like

I got a MidiXpress XT pre computer years ago for $40
It has a preset called “live keyboards.”
You plug all you gear in to the Ins and Outs, set the channels how you like and everything talks to each other as expected.
No midi feedback, because the preset is set up in a way to avoid most situations in the way midi is sent out to the various outputs.

At the time I didn’t have the money.
I sometimes think about getting something modern to specify where only click and transport messages go, and specify where other things go.

Elektron devices usually take care of most things internally. The OT tends to send out some extra messages tho.