Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 08 | The Bar-Kays - Whitehouseorgy

Ooh nice, I’ll have a play with the bit crusher on it. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I also learned from the YouTuber NonJuror, that if you use cassette sim, but dial everything to zero, it gives it a nice light saturation that acts like glue, but it will distort if the bass is heavy, like a pushed 808.

1 Like

Need to take a break from this. Dont know whats what anymore haha. Guess the congabongos is too loud. Maybe should add some horny vocals. Happy weekend all!

5 Likes

At least you have Vag in the title? That was such a hot jam man I really like your build up that was a ride!

This is you for going 3/3 :beers:

1 Like

Thx alot! A bit of a mess but earlier versions was 1000x worse. Set out to make something 140bpm tribal minimal techno but acidently made the bassline at 2mins and hey that feels italo/spacedisco so rode with that for awhile then it took a prototrance turn with stuttering vocals and swishswosh all over, tried some 80s highlife vocals for a bit. A good representation of my stressed out fractured brain. Been thinking of maybe try to clean out the muddy bass from the intro and use that instead of the other one but that was hard. Looking forward to the next xtravaganza! This was fun.

1 Like

For the next one, I think I’ve done enough research on the Maschine to finally try to use it solely for a track by the time it rolls around.

I usually feel a certain way when it’s time to finally just dive in without risking frustrating myself because I didn’t do enough research

1 Like

:man_shrugging: I tried. Sorry to cross-post this mud.

3 Likes

This has to be our most “out-there” submission to date, but it’s awesome man! I really enjoyed that, and I was zoning out over here! :beers: What equipment are you working with on this track?

1 Like

Haha, thanks! I kept going and recorded another one, ha. Now I’m cross-posting and spamming!

It’s Morphagene (with a reel of samples from the track) -> Clouds + Nord 2x -> Octatrack (which also has some samples) + TR8S.

5 Likes

Just sharing the gifts of sound. That’s a neat song you have there it feels like riding waves :surfing_man:

Nice setup!

1 Like

Feel abit spammy too but what the hell. Remixed the last one and put electric guitar and alot of tapeecho all over.

3 Likes

Bit of random mucking about with Serato and Bitwig.

I thought I’d take the unusual step of slowing it down as I quite liked the groove when I did that.

I tried to keep it all samples and mostly the original track with just one added break and a couple of drum samples.

Struggled a lot with getting it all locked in so something to work on.

7 Likes

@proskynesis Really nice extended cut and that is really awesome when Erykah Badu comes in! Every drop feels fancy :beers: was trying to figure out what tapeecho was for a second and thought you meant an edible ingredient :older_man:

@monquixote Love how you used the piano on your track :fire: awesome vibe man very funky!

2 Likes

@monquixote
Nice call on the slowdown, super funky :sunglasses:

I hear you on the struggle to click and find something that works, that’s what happens to me
Turned out great though

I speed way up on my track, which isn’t something I would usually do. I also kept it to almost all track samples, I like working it that way, but it does give a certain set of limitations if you want other sounds that arent there. For this one I only added kick/hat/snr/clp a little perc break cut and one bass note sample that was pitched around. Made a shaker/ perc element from the track but couldn’t find good clean drum hits.

It’s fun to see people getting the most out of a sample and hear the ways it connects to or wildly deviates from the original track like @no-thanks getting granular with it, very nice kind of harsh noise beautiful soundscapes and gritty rythms

4 Likes

Alright, my beat is a work in progress as I tackle the OT internal recorder science, yet again lol. I’ve been given a lot of great advice recently from a few members here who’ve been on the same warpath in the past and it’s been a tremendous help! :muscle:

Apologies if these sound too “sharp” on the quality I’m still trying to figure how the tracks/fx affect each other and I think one of my hi-hat samples was throwing off my other samples :baby:

Instrumental

Tried by 12 remix

7 Likes

Thanks chap.

I used Super VHS to make it really washed out and retro sounding. It’s a bit of a cliched sound now, but it does a job.

1 Like

That sounds dope gonna have to check that out! :older_man: :beers:

1 Like

Top work mate. It’s a jam :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yeah it’s like the “Make everything sounds a bit synthwave plug-in”

1 Like

@looms thanks man you guys all made me sweat! :beers:

@monquixote Noice that’s what’s up! :muscle:

Also on behalf of @natehorn and myself thank you all @1-2, @BLKrbbt, @proskynesis, @looms, @Yabba, @no-thanks, @monquixote for participating in this week’s challenge. The pressure was real on this one and you guys all came prepared with the heavy machinery! Looking forward to seeing you again at the next challenge hosted by @natehorn! Have a great week ahead everyone!

7 Likes