Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 13 | Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is

Thats wonderful! Dont think I listened to Field since here we go sublime. Im happy to inspire you to inspire me to try his later stuff driving home from work soon.

1 Like

You totally got the order to offset the chaos! That tension of the order and the chaos at the same time is what makes the track work.

1 Like

Managed to get some time to finish my track off… this is definitely a case of where if it wasn’t for this Mission Brief I would probably have sat on the track for months making occassional tweaks here and there. But as I’m already very late on this one I thought it best to submit warts and all…

I had been hoping to keep more recognisable elements from the original this time around but I was having a hard time with some weird notion of pitching things differently - my harmonic chops weren’t strong enough to pull it off. Anyway, it still was mostly from the original but I ended up processing things a lot more than anticipated. It was mostly done on the Digitakt into Live via overbridge and a bunch of effects ITB. Other than the original song I used 1 kick sample, 1 clap and 1 or 2 hats. I ended up adding in pad sound using Fors Chiral at the end just to tie things together a bit - that’s the very first sound you hear in the track.

Edit - it would probably help if I attached the track… but it’s too big. I’ll need to re-render from Live lossless and put it on Bandcamp.

Edit 2 - here it is… tapes fr random access or urmusik | jeye

2 Likes

All the records are worth your time, he’s highly consistent, even as the style changes a bit as the cover art gets darker.

1 Like

@jeye_musik

Did you time travel to the future, pick up a DT+Chiral, and then go back in time to record this jam?! :sunglasses: Really enjoyed your piano usage and pads, and I hope you don’t mind me comparing your song but I’m sort of getting some Buddha Bar vibes from your track! :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Yeah the sound quality is pretty rough. It was a quick one on my 404mk2 just running into my laptop speakers. With a million over the top effects, haha. I spent ages on the few previous challenges (and the last one particularly I wasn’t happy with considering the hours I spent!) so wanted to do something a bit throwaway, smash it out and load it up! I’ve since tried doing more to it and going ‘proper’ house but it came out sounding more like DJ Eric Prydz - Call On Me - Video Clip [1080p] - YouTube :joy:

Edit: Click that youtube link at your peril. I’m sorry.

1 Like

@aarb420 I always travel by Delorean!! No worries about the comparison - though I don’t them so I’ll need to go check them out. Glad you enjoyed it.

@looms Sometimes it’s just better to do things quickly and not get too hung up - I’ll definitely need to be more like that if I’m going to contribute to the next one as time is pretty tight just now.

2 Likes