Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 13 | Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is

This has early to mid 90’s Weather Channel local forecast vibes. Love it!

1 Like

This comment delights me :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks - really appreciate the advice. I think you’ve summed it up, I need to start by being a little more ‘granular’ in my chops. I’m used to working with synths, drum maschines and one shots so I need to make those sounds out of the samples.

The chops I’ve been playing with today are too long I think and therefore retain too much of the original ‘dna’ - sure people can still make that work, but I’m going to give the approach you suggest a try and think I’ll have more success! Thanks again

Ok, here we go then… this was tricky!

My first attempts were somewhat disappointing as noted above, but I’ve kept at it. I’m cheating here and uploading two tracks, not because they are any good, but to show my ‘progression’ and get any tips - as stated above this is my first time trying to sample anything.

The first attempt was solely on the the SP404mk2 - I leant into the who ‘lo-fi’ thing, probably a little too much in the end - but it helped me learn a few things about the device. My vision was kind of imagining it coming out of a dodgy transistor radio that was struggling to latch onto a station/frequency so hopped around a bit.

The second attempt was following @monquixote advice and chopping things up smaller - using the piano chords to make a kind of housey/detroit techno inspired thing, taking me completely away from the original - basically using the chops more like I would have used a synth, and adding my own drums/perc and bass. This one was using the Maschine Plus (oh and I forgot the the the click off but I kind of like it!)

Certainly much improvement to be made to get into the same stratosphere as you all, but it was fun to get involved and that is the main thing (I’m telling myself anyway!)

8 Likes

There is no element of cheating because this is a no votes do it for fun part of the site people can and do upload multiple versions or a work in progress and then make it better. It’s all good.

Nice work on these. You really got away from the source material and made it your own on the second one.

3 Likes

My bad for not being as attentive these past few days! Some unexpected things were added to the plate recently :older_man:

@Clarke_111 Nice somber mood you squeezed out of the piano sample on your first track and that Retrig/Pitch transition is dope and totally unexpected! Welcome aboard btw, and hope we get to see you around on the next ones :beers:

@monquixote thanks for helping out man I appreciate your efforts! :beers:

I have one coming soon with some LFO experiments, and I want to add something to it but I can’t figure out what or if I’m just stuck on loop mode haha :innocent:

1 Like

Bruce Hornsby is one of my Top 5 artists who also has inspired one of my other top 5 artist.

You can really spot his playing from a mile away, such a unique playing style.

I always fail horribly at these things but I might give it a go on the OP-1 this evening

2 Likes

Had a mini conflict making a beat without “obvious” samples, but still wound up keeping some parts for the intro/middle because it sort of reminded me of the old Macintosh boot intro. OT’s internal LFO magician provided some random vocal slices and are, assuredly, happy accidents!

shoutouts for samples on this track:
@natehorn for the OG sample
@Unifono for the phat bass
@sezare56 for the punchy kicks

10 Likes

@MichaalHell That’s neat to hear! I actually used to think this was a happy song for a majority of my childhood, only to now better understand how deep the song/lyrics are. Also there’s no pressure to make anything, but it would be neat to hear what your OP-1 recipes are like! :beers:

deadlines are non-existent… just there as a formality!

2 Likes

Spent way to long riffing on this track’s theme last night but it doesn’t really feel finished. Oh well… that’s just the way it is and some things will never change.

All on Digitakt 1.50 with only samples from the track and speech for MacOS say.

9 Likes

Love this!

Love the reggae/dub mix here. Great track.

1 Like

@sasquatchfuzz Lovely track and it almost sounds like you got violins out of the sample! Is that that the WinXP voice?! We used to prank call people back in the day using that wonderful creation before upgrading to Arnold soundboards :older_man: Welcome to the challenge! :beers:

my bad just saw the bottom part of you post where you said it’s from MacOS, but they sound alike!

1 Like

Big thanks to @everyone for spending time with us again and for such a fantastic turn out! It was great having you all over again and seeing how quickly you guys were able to achieve such awesome songs! We’re watching the evolution of man + machine and it’s a great feeling just being able to observe it take place in varying forms! Hope you all are ready for another round this coming Saturday, and that you all have an amazing rest of your week! Until next time :beers:

8 Likes

@aarb420 @Yabba @tubefund @Nils @malus_mons @monquixote @looms @Clarke_111 @sasquatchfuzz

Amazing tracks here from everyone - just enjoyed every one. Some amazing atmospheres and sound design - this one really brought out the best in everyone!

Special thanks to aarb420 for holding the fort in my absense - it’s typical that I dissapear during one of our busiest challenges! 🤦

I hope everyone’s good - see you in the next one!!

9 Likes

Great job on all of these interpretations folks. I ended up having a crazy week with work and other nonsense and my contribution has set near enough complete the whole time and I couldn’t seem to find half an hour to finish mine off. I was just going to upload it this evening but listening to all of yours has inspired me to spend a little time tomorrow to fix a couple of bits that were bugging me about it. In the meantime, I wanted to include some feedback about a few that really stood out to me (and that’s not to take anything away from the other contributions):

@natehorn - The second beat had this cool sense of almost falling over itself, but flowing really well at the same time. Like Schroedinger’s Beat!

@tubefund - Really digging the cool 90s dub vibe - a bit like the remixes that Mad Professor did for Massive Attack. The SRR is sounding super crispy and lovely.

@looms - It sounded like there was some internal clipping or something in there but forget about that I really like how you built it up into that soundscape of ebbing, and flowing echos and looped chunks of sample. Great vibe to this one!

@sasquatchfuzz - You’ve down a great job of making the icon piano sound really quite something else and melancholic in a different but equally beautiful way. I get what you mean about it maybe not feeling finished - I could think of a few things where it could go. But equally, I just really enjoyed zoning out to it there so maybe it doesn’t need anything.

6 Likes

Just catching up on this now but super The Field vibes from this, esp the simplicity of the bass sample and piano stabs.

1 Like

Wow thank you!!!

:raised_hands: I listen to a lot of broken beat and really like stuff that can feel a bit all over the place - hopefully with some order in the chaos haha

1 Like

Good shout actually, I agree @proskynesis - And you’ve inspired me to stick Looping State of Mind on so thanks :grin:

1 Like