Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 13 | Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is

Here is my go

Made entirely with samples from the track and nothing else.

14 Likes

Woah, this is awesome! Captured an 80s (or is early 90s?) dance funk vibe perfectly.

2 Likes

Can you tell I was born in 1980…

It’s meant to be some kind of late 80’s summer of love dance pop banger.

3 Likes

Haha, same here. It’s 100% a late 80s style banger. It would go OFF at the school disco.

2 Likes

Here’s an off the cuff work in progress. I was going to try and make a house banger. It didn’t work out that way. But it’s been a fun few hours solely on the 404 mk2 and I’m trying not to be precious and a bit more just chuck stuff up and all that.

The come down after @monquixote’s banger :laughing:

9 Likes

Oh man I love this it’s dark and grungy!

2 Likes

That’ll be the straight off the SP zero mixing using laptop speakers to make it flava!

1 Like

Sounds epic though.

Love that gritty delay!

3 Likes

Thanks man!

1 Like

@Nils Sounds like fun! Early scientific days :man_scientist: think that I might have “participated” late in one of those, while lazily trying to learn MD :rofl: do you still have a MD?

@monquixote This is such a “HARD” track and I can totally hear this being played on a 90’s DJ Clue mixtape with some og Nas freestyles over it! Totally got that 80’s sound perfected, and there’s a really great feel in this jam! :beers:

@looms Switching up the style on this, nice! :muscle: You captured a deep essence on this one, and I hope it doesn’t come off the wrong way, but I really wish this one kept going, as you have something delicious brewing here. It sounds like the journey was only just getting started towards the end! Dope jam :beers:

Thanks for sharing the flaves/energy! You’re all flying through this one, which is both inspiring and mildly terrifying because I hope there are still parts left to sample. Need to start on this soon :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m way into this. Count me in.

5 Likes

Folks, sorry for being so quiet - LIFE!

I’m going to sit down and enjoy the latest efforts this evening, I can see by the names and some of the reactions that I’m in for a good time! Glad everyone’s digging this one, I think I’m going to re-visit it myself at the weekend :metal: The bar is always so damn high!

6 Likes

Wow, this is amazing: you guys are producing some amazing stuff. Unreal.

I have caught the sampling bug over the last few days, quite literally, and so really interested in this.

I’ve been playing around with drum maschines and synths for 3/4 years but never really ‘got’ sampling for any more than one shot drum sounds and the odd synth part. Despite this I’ve ended up with a MPC live 2 and a SP404 mk2 (‘what and you don’t sample!?…’ I know, I know),

After reading the J Dilla book, binging on YouTube and reading threads here I’ve discovered 1) sampling is awesome and an amazingly creative activity 2) I really like hip hop (particularly instrumental hip hop - I was into guitar music growing up in the late 90s/00s and was very much guitar good/rap bad) 3) I want to give it a go, and need to as I’ve somehow acquired 2 amazing samplers without really meaning too!

So, despite having no clue where to start with this really I’m going to give this a go and see what I can come up with. You’ll have to humour me!

Thanks @natehorn for pulling this together

4 Likes

Nah not at all man. Nice you liked it enough to want more!

1 Like

Oh, cool! Early days of lock programming magic :star_struck: It was mostly about exploring and sharing, just like this mission is, basically.

I sold the MD 3-4 years ago, after almost 20 years of service. It was just time to move on. Still a wonderful instrument, no doubt.

1 Like

It’s been a bit of a struggle to get started on this one, but I think I’m finally starting to get somewhere. And then I go and listen to what others have done so far and I’m really impressed - don’t think there are any clunkers at all. I hopefully should have something I can submit by the weekend. After which I think I’ll get myself a nice cold refreshment and re-listen to everyone’s again.

2 Likes

@looms It’s dope and a fresh take on your style man! :muscle:

@Nils Aww man that sounds fun :cry: MD in the hands of Cenk is what inspired me to get one, plus I really liked that the design is based off of SP1200 and similar older machines. Have you heard about the new firmware updates/ new machines that @JustinValer and @v-yadli have been working on, recently?

No pressure, our challenges aren’t judged! It’s cool if you want to just hang out with us, too! :beers:

1 Like

Yeah, I know it’s no pressure. I was meaning enjoying a nice cold refreshment as a positive thing - just sitting back relaxing and giving everyone’s contributions a fresh listen after mine’s is done.

1 Like

Well this is harder than expected!!! I’ve spent an hour or so today just messing around with some samples and the SP404mk2.

I’m finding it is so hard to be creative and original. I love what you have all done with the track, but I’m finding it’s tricky to get there. Granted this is the first time I have attempted sampling in this way so I guess it will take time.

I think the main refrain/piano riff from this song is so familiar to me, I am ‘leaning into’ it too much and struggling. I ended up creating a few loops that were basically just rehashes of the original. I faired a bit better this evening when I came back to it and started to pitch the piano around a bit and apply some effects to break it away from the original. I’ll keep trying, but blimey it’s not easy. Kudos to you all for the stuff you’ve already managed!

3 Likes

I’m far from an expert and I don’t have an SP404, but here are a couple of tips I can suggest.

It’s very hard to break away from the original track.
First chop out some one shot drums and make a beat that is totally different from the original. Maybe repitch the drums, make it a 4 on the floor or radically change the BPM.
Chop up the piano or bass into just individual chords and play them in a different order. Match the syncopations of the drum beat you have created.

Mess everything up with loads of effects so the samples sound different.

It’s taken me a year of practice and doing these challenges to get to where I am. I wouldn’t have been able to make the track I made a few months ago.

2 Likes