Blackhole & overbridge

Hi all,

(update - Fixed! - Reinstalled Overbridge and now working beautifully. Duh.)

Original post for reference…

(Think this may be a quirk with mac OS Monterey update I updated the other day…)

Tools: Macbook Air, Spotify/youtube Ableton & Digitakt

Use case:
I want to run audio from the Mac laptop (Spotify & Youtube) through Ableton first so that I can separate L & R channels and see what each sounds like independently - 60’s & 70’s records etc…

Then run the audio direct to the Digitakt and sample there - no need to actually record in Ableton.

I’m certain I was running Digitakt in overbridge mode so I could then separate each track for processing in Ableton.

Did I hallucinate that I could go from System audio -> ableton - > digitakt - > overbridge into 8 tracks of separated audio in Ableton?

To do this I was using Blackhole audio on the Mac to run ‘system’ sounds into ableton and then straight to the digitakt, back to Ableton via Overbridge and able to hear and use the system seamlessly.

However, I updated to Monterey the other day and I don’t know if this has messed things up or I’m being daft, memory is tricking me and have changed a setting on Ableton/digitakt.

It looks like my setup in the Audio/midi settings on the mac no longer recognise Digitakt as a device when the digitakt is setup in Overbridge mode.

Also I can’t see the Digitakt as an option in ableton sound card output settings. Again, I’m sure this setup was possible before.

Audio currently successfully goes from Laptop system -> ableton but I can’t get it from Ableton to Digitakt. Sample source is USB on the DT - USB config is Overbridge.

The setup works fine when it’s in USB Audio/midi mode. But then I get sync issues and will get workflow issues having to commit DT tracks to Ableton earlier than I’d like.

Separate to this but also might be linked is a midi “learn” issue which has developed but I’ll try to figure that out and create a new topic for that later if I can’t fix it.

Any thoughts from anyone would be really appreciated!

J

TDLR - anything that meddles under the hood with the sound system on Mac Os, is ultimately going to disappoint. IMHO Best to avoid relying on this if you can. I’ve tried them all and ended up removing everything. From my perspective, every time there was an update - Mac Os, Overbridge, and DAW, there was a risk that some aspect of the setup would break. When it comes to timing particularly in hybrid hardware/software setups, this can really bug you as you find yourself wondering why an old track somehow doesn’t feel right - and then hours spent fiddling with drivers - all very boring.

Yup, agreed. Absolute faff. Guess It’s time for an external sound card…