Blofeld love

that Lu Crow cat is willlllllllld. I came across him in the blofeld facebook group, he has a very strange vibe.

did anyone see the video he posted where the blofeld was covered with dried blood?

4 Likes

Haha I saw one where it looked like heā€™d slopped his dinner on there. Must be that one

1 Like

I also was following the Facebook group for some time and say many videos of him, and not just one had these traces on the unit. I wondered whether itā€™s blood, or ketchup, of a prop to set the mood.

Quite wild yes, I like this world make of assorted flavors!

Regarding menus, the blofeld is equally - or possibly even less - complex compared to any of the elektron boxes. Itā€™s not particularly menu divey once youā€™ve learned where to look.

1 Like

I still find it a little more complex than my Digitakt, which has one page per button, with 8 parameters each, or even the Digitone with two pages for most buttons. On the blofeld thereā€™s quite some encoder rotations needed to access all parameters.

Iā€™m not complaining, it has a lot and itā€™s all welcome, and I do fin the navigation very suitable.

Only improvement I could imagine is when it would remember better where I was last. For example if I was setting mod matrix slot 4, go to the filter, and back to mod matrix, Iā€™d appreciate if it is still at slot 4 instead of jumping to slot 1.

I love the blofeld! Such a rich and surprising synth.

1 Like

I think it just really takes a minute to get a hang of it, but is logical when you do.

I keep finding I donā€™t know Whatā€™s going to happen when I turn some of the knobs. The category filter thing alone will drive you mad if you donā€™t understand it

I sent him a friend request on Facebook. He is an interesting guy. Had a conversation with him on messenger. I think he has dove deeper into blofeld than anyone Iā€™ve talked to. He sees everything through math in that machine.

3 Likes

It does!

Caveat - I know sometimes it doesnā€™t and not sure what condition ensures it, but Iā€™ve been using it a lot past few days and had noticed it being helpful like that.

I just turned mine on now to check and went back and forth from mod slot 4 to filter and back making adjustments - the first time it went back to slot 1, after that it ā€˜stuckā€™ - even when I changed mod slot it would remember last used

1 Like

Ah interesting. I suspect I expereinced that as well. As I wrote that message, I had used the blofeld for a while that day and remember noticing it didnā€™t, bummer.

No idea whether thereā€™s a reproducible behavior, intentional or not in that.

BTW, again, these two tips, unison voices modulating filter pan, and also modulating the wave table positon for each note pressed, are amazing!

Blofeld love indeed. I get very peculiar sounds out of it

1 Like

Though I do dream of putting a bunch of classic digital synth waves in. Just never get around to it. Somedayā€¦

1 Like

Agreed. It took me a long, long time to start liking the Blofeld but now I love it. Worth giving it some time. Iā€™ve said it before but Iā€™ll mention it again. Wrap some rubber-bands around each knob to make them grippy. Big time change for me. Silly but it was.

Not sure if mine is super old? I had to desolder the power switch to get the board offā€¦did your pots look like this? Cause mine ainā€™t moving? I have pulled the clips back on this on but no goā€¦they also donā€™t look too greasyā€¦?

1 Like

O.k. brute force did itā€¦i have had less trouble pulling teethā€¦i was sure I was going to crack the board at timesā€¦but this WORKSā€¦there was grease anywhere but where it was supposed to beā€¦:roll_eyes:
But wow, I have had this synth since 2008, I canā€™t believe i havnt done this sooner, its now working like the day I pulled it out of the boxā€¦

Its not for the feint hearted and some soldering skills are needed if your switch is hard soldered with short exposed wiresā€¦but if you are enduring jumping pot values

1 Like

Yeah I remember them needing a little force with a set of pliers, but nothing as dramatic as you describe :grimacing: now I do have a bit of diy experience, and a little bit of kit, but Iā€™d be careful with using too much force on anything fixed on a pcb. Another solution is to sacrifice the encoder (or just desolder it if you have the gear) and snip its legs off with low profile cutting pliers and remove the last pieces of legs in the pcb holes with your soldering iron and some tweezers.

Its just so much harder to fix problems that could arise from tensile stress on the pcb, that could be pretty hard to problemshoot, and might require quite a bit of surgery if youā€™re unlucky!

Anyways, good thing you have a properly working 'Feld again. It really is a cool sounding wavetable synth, I donā€™t get the hate either. Well, after I got rid of that horrible encoder skipping, that is. Now to move on to the daunting task of fixing up a MEK. The mother of all horrible encodersā€¦

1 Like
7 Likes

Arp made with one sine wave with unisono pan and unisono at 3. (Waldorf Blofeld)

backed up by Vermona 14 and Korg MS-20 Kit

5 Likes

Can the midi out on Blofeld kbd be set to THRU?
Thanks a lot!

Nope

2 Likes

:((( :sad:

Well I just declared my love to a desktop unit (white) for 270ā‚¬.
Will add it to:
Deepmind 12
Novation MiniNova
Toraiz AS-1
Arturia MicroFreak
Digitakt
NDLR
Keystep
Will certainly get back here once received and for helpā€¦ Just in case :slight_smile:

5 Likes