Blofeld love

get an ASM Hydra, its very close to the Blofeld

1 Like

Have both. Cannot compare both, neither feature nor sound wise, in my opinion.

1 Like

Smells like it :wink:
Have been tempted but shall await a bitā€¦ Money talksā€¦
But surely it is on m main radar.

RECEIVED 2 days ago.
Plugged in, v1.22.
Very happy with a synth I had been eyeing back and forth over the last 5 yearā€¦
Never took the plunge as it ā€œscaredā€ me in terms of sound design and menu diving.
Happy I took the plunge :slight_smile:
So far so good, not expecting to update firmware to 1.25ā€¦ Or should I?
What are the benefits?
Anybody?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

As 1.25 does NOT fix the LFO MIDI sync nor the ARP.
Probably not worth it.

It it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it!

4 Likes

Thank you @MarkPigott for confirming.

1 Like

I used to love the Blofeld I made 2 releases with it, but after a while the knobs become impossible to use; they got wobbly and not precise and it was getting more and more difficult to program it.

It is a shame that Waldorf has never fixed or changed the mechanics on them. The pulse 2 does not have this issue.

Other than this, amazing little synth.

1 Like

I had been eyeing this one for years believe it or not.
I always saw it as a ā€œtoo deepā€ machine and at that time the digital sound of things was not my thing.
I was just listening to those lush pads and ambient stuff.
Got mine second hand in perfect conditions.
Re knobs: like new. Will use a midi controller (Kenton Freak Live) to tweak it, as I do with other synths (MiniNova and as-1 particularly).

Yes for ambient Pad, drones, dub chords, evolving sounds, it is perfect.

I was using it sometimes with the VST editor and also with an iPad app.

But in the end I liked a lot that small GUI full of information.

https://coffeeshopped.com/2017/06/waldorf-blofeld-for-patch-base

Scroll upā€¦its not that hard to fixā€¦

Yes I fixed it couple of times with Deoxit, but they were always coming back to the same issue.

I checked with Waldorf and the board had to be replaced so I sold it for Ā£180.

1 Like

If you have a computer in your setup you can always use a plugin to control the blofeld. I use monstrumfeld and love it. It has a beautiful layout, well layed out. Iā€™ve owned it for years and couldnā€™t imagine my blofeld without it.

My encoders still work flawlessly in case I need them or want to sell someday.

2 Likes

About one year ago I bought a second hand black desktop Blofeld including SL license.

Still today I havenā€™t load samples into it, neither jump into the wavetable world.

So far I am using the VA oscilators, FM and ring modulation, sometimes unison, sometimes poly, sometimes mono, a lot of filtering, envelope and various drives, abusing of the matrix and lfoing a lot, so basically using as if it was a kind of digital on steroids modular setup.

I only work on multi mode and using and external sequencer allowing also some sort of sound processing. The sequencer never stops and I keep tweaking the sound till happy with the part and saved it. Remember there are two filters than can be used to shape sound heavily, and mostly, when in multimode, help sitting the sound within the mix, or at least, the internal mix.

The sounds that came with it are being replaced by my own ones, didnā€™t like the ones previously saved.

The random button its simply fantastic.

Deffinetlly highly recommended synth if you are into programming your own sound and you enjoy so. The sound pallete that can cover is superb.

I have still not used an editor but didnā€™t find the need of one either. The way the menus and controls are layout are very clever.

Canā€™t be any happier and I still have a long way to go and dive.

Thanks Waldorf for such a terrific synth.

(Impressions after about a year of Blofeld use along with some elektron instruments)

9 Likes

Ahh
So it ā€˜isā€™ like the blofeld!

(Iā€™m kidding, but it was common complaint over the years for blofeld).

Still have mine until I get an Iridium at least.
Still love it too :heart:

1 Like
5 Likes
3 Likes

Some Blofeld love along with an Octatrack :slight_smile:

Blofeld is used as a drum synth, only synthesis, not sample used.

@fraktallatkarf on Instagram: ā€œWhen your passion about drum synthesis and workflows drives you into converting an Octatrack and a Blofeld into a limitless semi modularā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m wondering if anything has changed in the past few years and perhaps someone knows of a good Blofeld editor for Mac?

Blofeld only midi&audio tru digitone
what i wanted to say, although i feel much Blofeld love, i find it very hard to handle the sounds, i have parts in my live set where Blofeld sounds are used, but they never sound the same, sometimes the sounds are really overwhelming, sometimes they just sound right and heavenly. Maybe it is my inability to understand the Blofeld, still havenā€™t figured it out :joy:

11 Likes

A lot has changed in the past few years and there are still a bunch of free and paid editors available for the Blofeld.

1 Like