Boredbrain Optx

Starting a dedicated thread for this module from Optx that I got a hold of lately. It seems kind of dull at first, but it’s actually brilliant. Basically an ADAT expansion for your audio interface in an 8hp module - with 8 ins and outs for your modular system.

I know folks are always looking for ways to better integrate their DAW/interface and Euro setups (including me), and this is just the ticket.

2 Likes

curious to pick one up! how do you like it so far?

I’ve been using it regularly since I got it, and it’s been genuinely great! So much easier than dealing with my other ADAT expansion which is all quarter inch jacks

2 Likes

cool, just wanted to know if your hd any issues

i have a babyface pro so this will be a great investment! :))

1 Like

So happy to find this here, was looking for EXACTLY this kind of module, I really appreciate the whole Expert Sleepers Ecosystem of modules for these kind of tasks, but since I already have a great output/headphone monitoring module, the ES9 would have been overkill, and the ES8 did “only” have 4 inputs, so this is actually excellent to find!

2 Likes

just be aware the inputs aren’t DC coupled - so maybe not great for CV

the thread on modwiggler goes into detail on this!

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I already researched and personally I don’t use CV inputs so much for these kind of I/O modules. This will mainly be an interface for connecting the assimil8or’s individual voices to my iPad and mangle it inside AUM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to come back to this module: After troubleshooting power issues of my rack with the OPTX I have to say that this module is the noisiest I have ever had in my life…I wish I would have known before going through this mess of troubleshooting just to realize that it was the OPTX all the time. It is one beast of hiss and whatnot. If I would have known before I would have returned it before 2 weeks expiration. Now I can only feed audio into it with a heavy noise filter ITB

/update: On MW one of the Boredbrain staff reached out to me to find a solution for this issue. I will write here again after trying some stuff to improve the noise floor.

1 Like

Please do keep us updated. I haven’t had any noise issues at all. I used to have all sorts of weird behaviour in my rack until I grounded them all together with a steel braid strap (probably not strictly the best solution, but still) - so I wonder if that might help?

1 Like

I have tested it in 3 different racks and my testing rack with linear PSU with only the OPTX attached. Seems to be a common issue though, pn ME people had similar complaints. Channel 1-6 are noisy, channel 7 is noisier and channel 8 is the noisiest. Also got approved by the developer. I will post sound files with the noise recordings later

I recommend returning it and getting an Expert Sleepers ES3 + ES6 pair. The downside is a little extra HP, and two fewer inputs, but they work like a charm and are rock solid for me. Pretty much everything I’ve read about the Optx has been extremely negative - it seems like something that took a left turn at the last minute because of parts shortages and they weren’t able to properly validate that the new design actually had equivalent behaviour (case in point, the whole “the inputs are DC coupled, oops actually no they’re not” fiasco). Would be great if they redesigned it and put out a decent MK II because on paper what this is is perfect.

1 Like

I unfortunately cannot return it anymore since in Germany we have a 14 day return policy and this time, unfortunately, has surpassed. It is also complicated to go through the “warranty” claim, since they are based in the US.

Nevertheless one of Boredbrain’s staff has reached out to me on MW to resolve this issue by exchanging it with the next v2 batch, which is promised to be better at AD/DA conversion, but has 2HP more as a tradeoff, which I immediately accepted.

I was also looking into the ES stuff, and I really highly appreciate ES, but my only gripe with their ADAT modules is that they have a weird input response when it comes to CV. Weirdly the OPTX is better at that.

Anyhow, for anyone interested in hearing the issue: Here are some examples of the noise floor, all recorded with the OPTX solely sitting in my testing rack with linear PSU, connected to my MOTU UltraLite MK4 via ADAT:

https://bit.ly/3lvWscc

Very intrigued by there being a v2! Did they mention when this might be released/announced?

not yet, I hope soon :slight_smile:

a few months

changes contain:

1. The noise floor is greatly improved on the inputs and outputs.
  2. DC-coupling for the inputs is now selectable in pairs, using 4 switches on the front panel.
  3. You can now optionally power the module with +5V from your power system rather than relying solely on the +/-12V power rails.
  4. The new module is 10HP, slightly larger than the original 8HP module.

Clawing back 2HP from the ES-3 / ES-6 pair + gaining two extra inputs makes this v intriguing, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

1 Like

maybe superbooth?

i’m pretty stoked for the v2 tbh