Bottom bar

Hey guys.

I feel good here. There is one thing that bugs me though: the bottom bar (with the “create topic” button etc) is kind of thick, isn’t it? I’m reading the forum on a 13" laptop and I get a bit constrained. I like not have to scroll down every 3 lines.

I love the orange/black/white color theme :slight_smile:

I would agree with this. I was looking for the right spot to mention this. The bottom bar is ok, other than taking up about 20% of the vertical space in my browser. And I also am looking at it on a 13 screen in firefox.

I agree with this too.

Yes, making it plain non-static would do it.

agree

Yes, most of the information in the bottom bar can be moved to the top bar.

Yes, it’s bad. I have a 23" screen and I find the site almost unusable.

Just chiming in to say I too agree with everyone else.

Totally agree - the bottom bar takes too much space. But it´s good it´s static to have immediate access to the breadcrumb and some other menu items.

I agree that it’s good to have it static…now that you mention it, I wish the top bar were static as well because that would speed up navigation. I miss the e-U thing of having the forum path at the top.

there’s plenty of room; more stuff could move up to the right of the Elektronauts logo. As I said elsewhere, this wouldn’t be great for a product website, but Elektronauts is a discussion forum so text needs a greater priority than visual flow, because it’s not supposed to just guide people towards a buy button or download link.

Yeah I must agree too. It’s a minor thing on a MacBook or even iPad but last night I tried to read Anigbrowls post (about layout), on an iPhone & it was a right pain in the arse!
It needs to be significantly smaller or tied in with the top bar.

Yes please.

And again.

I’m finding the layout pretty cramped (?) for want of a better description.

Seems like a lot of wasted space; very little room for actual posts; and then having to scroll to read more then three lines or so.

Agreed. Too much vertical space being used. On a 27" iMac, I get to see only 5 posts without scrolling!

After reading Rusty’s post, I realized there is a bit of space on both the right and the left

I do like the look and feel of the new site in general though

agreed on the bottom bar

the majority of monitors are wider than they are taller, why not move the thing to the side if it must be there at all?

Thanks for all the feedback! As I wrote in this thread:

I agree the visibility in the forum threads is not really up to par. We’ll start working on the next iteration, which has been thoroughly comped and outlined, this Monday. It’ll kill a lot of white space between posts, make the SC-bar more discrete and shave off a healthy amount of pixels from the bottom bar. A slew of other graphical/layout things will be taken care of as well.

We hope to roll out the update rather soon. Vacation times etc make things move a bit slower, but getting Elektronauts right is something we really prioritize.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

I know this is maybe a long shot, but it would be great if the design was responsive so that it would fit multiple devices. At the moment, it’s impossible to read the forum on an iphone, or a smaller device. Instead of trying to make one design that fits all platforms, it would be best to maybe have 2 or 3, that way, it would be possible to have sidebars on smallers screens and bigger footers and headers / nav bars on the bigger ones. Just my 2c, as i’m sure you already know most of this.

Anyways, if you need a hand for this, i’ll gladly help in any way i can.

We plan to implement a mobile-friendly version of the site. We’ll look into this once all the functionality of Elektronauts is in place.

Removing some whitespace between posts + trimming the bottom bar will however make it easier to use the site with a smartphone. Even though it won’t be optimal, it will be better compared to how it looks today.

1 Like

Sounds good! :slight_smile: It would probably be possible to somehow convert the forum to fit into a system like Tapatalk’s or something similar for mobile devices, I imagine.