Bought a Digitakt but I'm not sure where to start

I’ve read the manual for the Digitakt and um… none of it makes sense. I’d like to be able to actually maybe create a loop? When I play some of the pre-loaded loops, I’ve noticed variation in the pitch of some samples but I’m not sure how to get there. I also bough a MicroFreak after watching a video of a synth enthusiast making music with the two devices in tandem but connecting the two seems like boss-level logic. Any tips/advice/suggestions on how to learn?

Thanks!

1 Like

If RTFM doesnt work for you you should try any of the begginer videos on youtube.

5 Likes

In a blank project, select a track, hit the record button. Select a few trigs, now, with the ‘SRC’ screen open, press and hold one of those trigs, and turn the TUNE dial. Hit play.

Rinse and repeat, you’re now Digitakting!

(There are more natural ways to capture notes chromatically if that’s what you want, but the above workflow can be applied to any attribute on the digitakt, go crazy!)

Yea the manual is a useful reference but I don’t think it’s the best place to learn. Lots of great YouTube vids out there depending on your flavour of personality!

Welcome!

Definitely YouTube tutorials are a great way to get started. Cuckoo’s MegaTutorial is the benchmark standard, and for good reason: he is a great educator.

After that, just search “Digitakt Tutorial” and look for other ways to continue moving along. Also, this forum’s search bar is really great, and there is a ton of knowledge to be found easily here.

7 Likes

Cuckoo tutorial is indeed great, I started there, and then I decided on a remix, so I knew WHAT I wanted to do, which greatly helped with figuring out HOW!! Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d suggest focussing on one unit tbh!

4 Likes

Hey,

I got this 3rd party manual for a few bucks when I got the Digitakt, it’s been a lifesaver.

The are a zillion great videos on YouTube. I had to watch a few of them a few times to get a sense of what the Digitakt is all about.

Good luck,

Nick

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
I would just chime in to also suggest you watch the Cuckoo Mega Tutorial.
He is a great teacher, and rather easy to follow along with.
As for pitching the samples, thats on the SRC page, and the Tune encoder (A) will help with that…
but it sounds like youre staring down the barrel, arent ya…

Take a breath. You did NOT make a mistake purchasing this instrument.
Take some time. Seriously, take some TIME with it.
You WILL have a “Holy Shit!!” moment where you get it, and can see what this thing can do.
Watch tutorials, read threads, read the manual again, and the online downloadable one, not that quick start guide that comes with it… though that got me going…

5 Likes

Welcome to our corner of the world. I hope you have a big desk, because the synth game is addicting.

Search for Digitakt beginner tutorials on Youtube. Cuckoo has excellent videos. Red Means Recording has amazing videos too, but they are a tiny bit more advanced than Cuckoo.
The Synthdawg manuals are super cheap and good.

Maybe break up your current setup/goals into various steps. Have fun with the Microfreak by itself for a moment and the Digitakt (DT) by itself too. Find out how to load a sound on to Track 1 (I’d recommend any kick drum). Press record. Tap trigs 1, 5, 9, 13. Press record again. Then press play. Repeat for Track 2, but choose any snare or clap and only place trigs on 5 and 13. Repeat for Track 3, but choose a hihat and place trigs on 3, 7, 11, 15. Now you have a very simple loop going on the DT.

To connect the two boxes is actually two-ish processes - midi and audio. In your case, it would make sense to have the DT control Microfreak. You’ll need a 5-pin din MIDI to 3.5mm TRS connector. You can search YT for Digitakt midi tutorials. The bottom row of trig buttons are your midi tracks. Connecting the audio depends on how you’re listening to your gear. If you just plug headphones into them, then you’ll need to run the Microfreak audio into the DT. Someone else can definitely explain this stage better than I can.

Don’t be discouraged. It may feel like you’re spending a lot of energy to achieve a simple task. But you’ll get it and will be able to do stuff without thinking, and grow to higher levels. Have fun!

3 Likes

You could also consider the courses of Dave Mech: Mastering Digitakt Part 1: Basics & Groove Creation tutorial — Dave Mech

11 Likes

Hey there,
I give online lessons (in both spanish and english) tailor-made based on your needs. :slight_smile:
If you’re interested, DM me.
Best of luck with the Digitakt! it’s a wonderful machine :white_heart:

EDIT: forgot to mention! here’s my Instagram, in case you want to check out some of the music I do: www.instagram.com/depuratumba

2 Likes

Great advise so far! :+1:t2:

Enjoy the DT, it’s my favorite Elektron box. You will love it too!

You folks are the absolute best! Thank you so much. Now its time for me to put in time and master this amazing little box!

1 Like

Check ur DM, fam

1 Like