Bought a Nintendo Switch

Yeah, the ring/leg combos are pretty annoying

Golden eye released on the N64 Switch expansion.

2 Likes

FYI on the Nintendo Switch version of Goldeneye … you need to have a Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership ($50 / year) to access the game. Apparently the controls are true to the N64 mapping, so it may be a pain to play if you don’t have a N64 controller (can be bought thru Nintendo). This game was released well before the modern twin stick and triggers layouts that we have become accustomed to.

Also, if you have an Xbox Gamepass membership, the Goldeneye is available for Xbox in Rare Replay. From what I’ve read, the controls can be mapped to a modern layout. I shall find out tonight!

Either way, I’m happy to return to the golden age of FPS shooters. The King has returned.

3 Likes

Watch the Switchup YouTube channel video on GoldenEye, they take you through all the controller mapping so that it plays more like modern shooters, works well

Goldeneye! :heart_eyes:

That, and a lot of weed, nearly cost me my degree back in the late 90s haha.

Quick question… I’ve got an N64 USB controller I used to use with my Raspberry Pi… Will it work with the switch or are Nintendo being funny buggers with using third party products?

No online multiplayer match making though?!? Don’t nintendo know we are old now and have no friends?!?

2 Likes

It should work. I use a third party GameCube controller sometimes.

1 Like

I just plugged the XBox 360 controller that I use with my mac into the Switch and couldn’t get the Switch to respond.

It’s possible it might work with one of 8bitdo’s adaptors? Either way, 8bitdo is worth mentioning if only because they make all sorts of excellent quality modern/retro controllers, but also adaptors for using almost any controller (including original ones for classic systems) across various consoles and Mac/PC…

https://www.8bitdo.com/

I picked Breath of the Wild back up for a bit to get hyped for the new one to come out this summer. Finally crossed the Final Trials off my to-do list. Whew.

1 Like

Kickstarter for Mika and the Witch’s Mountain, to be released on: Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abraham-cozar/mika-and-the-witchs-mountain-delivery-service-adventure?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=8.backer.camp&ref=25y688

1 Like

Switch parents/owners

Our 10y.o. is making increasing noise about a switch …

I’m seeing news of a Switch 2 and 50% discounts (both original & OLED) at one large UK retailer

We can never know about product refreshes for sure, but 50% is a big warning sign of that possibility, otherwise why ? …

Anyway, snagging an og for £115 would be a sweet low risk purchase for a device likely to get knocked about

But what is the games purchasing like on switch - the titles look quite spendy by comparison to PS4, is there an equivalent of PSN where you can occasionally get the earlier titles discounted

Mostly interested to learn if OLED owners believe it is a worthy premium, for reasons other than the side-by-side features comparison (LAN isn’t needed) … also wrt storage, do games work fine from microSD or do they get moved to ram (slower load?) … what’s the route to online playing with switch, will it be subscription to do online play for Minecraft which will be used the most

Any buying insights welcomed, i’m not sure how long we can stall this wrt Switch 2 if that’s even a credible option (4k support would not be a determining factor) …

There’s a 40-minute direct tonight. Probably about Zelda (let’s fuckin go) but maybe a Switch 2. It is long in the tooth as far as hardware goes, but it’s just become the 3rd highest selling console of all time, chip issues (though maybe not for Nintendo) and Nintendo doesn’t play the upgrade game: not broken, why fix imo. But who knows. They won’t make an OG Switch obsolete anyway.

Can’t comment on OLED. I don’t have any issues with storage cards personally. Play online requires subscription. I don’t know PSN, but there’s the virtual consoles or whatever for which you get most of their first-parties of systems up to N64 for a price. Earlier indie titles get discounted often.

2 Likes

cheers that makes sense … Switch 2 would presumably be something with a toe in the future but a toe in the present, so given its popularity, i’d imagine that support for current titles would be 1:1 - but perhaps better mod-cons on teh TV side & more storage, so perhaps aren’t so relevant to delay jumping in … the screen seems smallish wrt phones/ipads etc (never seen one), if a S2 had a bigger screen it might make the pill easier to swallow (plus prevent the whole (as-is) phone-screen 20cm from face thing) … i think the research might need to turn to the end-user experience wrt subscriptions and online marketplace - i’ve only looked at teh tech specs

2 Likes

Yeah…HOPEFULLY the games purchased on the Switch eshop will carry onward

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s any chance of a Switch Pro being announced tonight. I really hope I’m wrong, though. The original hardware is very long in the tooth at this point, and it would be great to see a Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom that runs well and looks lovely.

I will eat my hat if new switch. It’s sold so well and they can more sales from the new Zelda…

Baseless, illinformed opining incoming

I’ve heard games are not using the full power of the Switch’s innards. Hell, BotW was technically a port. I wonder if TotK will run and look much better.

Can they manage to out Steam the Steam Deck? I don’t think they want to and I don’t think that’s their target market. I don’t know why they would need to release a more powerful console.

Looking back at what happened with the 3ds and the slightly more powerful new 3ds, I think it’s entirely possible that Nintendo would drop a slightly more powerful switch in the coming years instead of a completely new thing. Especially given the popularity of the switch. There were only relatively few exclusive games released for the new 3ds, and I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar were to happen with a switch pro. There’s such a large library of games available on the switch and I would be happy to upgrade if there was backward compatibility.

3 Likes

Recently bought an early hardware version of the Switch that can be modded to run Homebrew, Android and Linux.

Anyone have any suggestions of fun music makers to try with this? I’m guessing trackers would be fun, along with some Android apps.