Bought a Nintendo Switch

I just bought metroid dread on Friday and I had a really hard time putting my switch down this weekend. Haven’t reached the final boss yet, but pretty much all the bosses I’ve encountered so far handed my ass to me for the first couple of attempts at beating them.
I’d love to see Super Metroid remade with this game engine. The remake of metroid 1, zero mission, on the game boy advance is probably my favorite metroid game. A similar treatment in terms of new content would suit super metroid really well, I think.

1 Like

Haha to be honest I was glad I did very early on, even before I completed all Divine Beasts.

In my opinion the Ganon bossfight was a bit of a letdown, having gotten that out of the way made the freedom of exploration much more liberal (?) without that thought of a bossfight looming over me.

The DLC Monk is the true endboss of the game, haha, difficulty- and theme-wise.

1 Like

The Portal Companion Collection in the Nintendo Store is $20 and includes both Portal and Portal 2. This collection came out this past summer with little hype or marketing. Both of these games are in a lot of Elektronats “top 10 games ever” thread. They run great on the Switch.

4 Likes

Good point actually. Though there’s some willpower required to keep playing BoTW after Ganon is defeated once. There’s a few mechanics in there that just encourage a general exploring, but it’s not Stardew Valley :slight_smile:

Though there are some suggestions to the fact, though. The village, for example. I’m kind of hoping the sequel is as much just building your place in the world as it is going for the Big Bad.

1 Like

Crazy to think the Switch is only a little shy of 6 years old. I don’t play mine at all any longer but I look at it like I look at my Game Boy as a device I don’t think I’ll part with.

I’ve moved on to a Steam Deck for now which I’m not 100% sold on but fits my gaming needs better. Need to look into running emulations on it actually. But, if/when Nintendo come calling with a true Switch successor I’ll be all over it.

I’ll not be passing the chance to play the new Zelda next year whether there’s new hardware or not though!

2 Likes

not to derail the thread but what do you not like about the steamdeck? I’m considering one at the moment

well now i can finally fit in in this post… i just bought a Switch… and splurged the fuck out on games…

we have chrimstmas tradition were the kids sleep at the christmas tree on mattrases the day before christmas ( which is of course on the 24th, the rest of the world can eat a bag of chips :P) i was planning on setting up the switch at the night so that the kids wake up and find a Switch with a ton of games… its gonna be a blast playing Super Smash, Mario Party and Mario Kart with them.

i will have to check that it works prior to that of course, with Breath of the Wild as the test subject.

9 Likes

There’s nothing I specifically don’t like to be honest. It’s more that it’s not as slick as a console sort of thing. I knew that going into it though. It’s a PC at the end of the day and while it is mostly “plug and play” like a console there can be some messing about with settings.

An example: I bought blood Bowl 2 on sale. Initially couldn’t play it as the default controller set up didn’t have a dedicated “enter” key and the UI soft keyboard didn’t register! Now works fine with a new template (talking just minutes to find and fix) but it’s little things like that.

Other thoughts: battery life is ropey but again, I knew that going in and don’t really get the chance for 2+ hours these days. Also most games are not UI optimised so regularly difficult text to read.

I’m painting a shabby picture here. There’s lots of positives. Loads of super cheap indie games that look fantastic. Screen is great and it is more comfortable to play than a Switch in my opinion. Happy to answer questions on another thread or PM to save derailing this conversation!

1 Like

Enjoy! Brings back memories of a past Christmas where the kids were obsessed and playing Mario Odyssey and then other party games later on. Loads of fun. Great to think that my kids will cherish some Nintendo memories like I do with the whole SNES/Game Boy and N64 thing

yeah its gonna be great. the fact that we will be able to play the whole family together now is awesome. Hopefully some great memories will be made

1 Like

awesome, thanks for the reply J0n35y :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I initially laughed at Target’s advertisement of this Black Friday (now Cyber Monday) deal, because in the US, it’s $299 at multiple stores, not just Target.

But $299 being a market-wide discounted price makes sense. And I do like Mario Kart.

Anybody know if there are potential legal issues with sampling the audio from Switch games?

I recently got a great deal for a Nintendo 3DS with a carry case and 14 games. The games were all the best ones like 3 Zeldas, 4 Marios, Metal Gear Solid etc. with boxes and manuals. The whole lot cost me 170€.

At first I thought that I was buying it to sell in my shop for profit, but when I had paid for it, I decided to keep it for just a while. Now I’m completely hooked. I have had the 3DS before and played many of the games but I just love Zelda - Link Between Worlds and Majora’s Mask etc. The 3D effect is a gimmick but a great one. I just love this machine. I’ll keep it at least over the christmas period or at least until I finish the Zeldas. Now we can both play simultaneously. My girlfriend can play Kirby on the Switch while I bash monsters on the 3DS. I need to get Pilotwings Resort for it and my life will be complete.

5 Likes

Nice, I’ve also got a 3DS I turn on from time to time, mostly for long train rides. The remakes of the n64 Zelda games are the definitive editions imho, and link between words is an absolute gem. Also, in addition to Mario games, the 3d donkey kong and Rayman origins are great platformers to have on the go.

2 Likes

I want one to use on business trips. Will see what sales exist.

I suspect this review is more entertaining than the actual game, which is currently $15

Other Cyber Deal games

I see nobody has mentioned Lego City Undercover yet, which is pretty great with kids. Or if you’re in a different state of mind…
It’s basically GTA but family friendly. It has 2-player drop-in/drop-out couch coop, which is the best kind of couch coop. It regularly gets deep discounts. Set an alert on dekudeals.

Just got disco asylum on sale on Nintendo eshop…. Hoping it’s as good as they say!

5 Likes

It runs a bit choppy on the switch, but it’s an incredibly unique experience. It’s genuinely funny, sometimes pretty sad and thought-provoking, but very well done. If you don’t mind a slower pace and lots of (exceptionally written and voice acted) dialog, you’re in for a treat. Hope you’ll have as good as a time with it as I did earlier this year!

2 Likes

Waiting for holiday break to start it. I played it a bit just to try it out. Looks like a good and proper immersion. Really looking forward to it.

1 Like