Bought a Nintendo Switch

so Hyper Light Drifter sucked me in and Im trying to get all the little square pieces now because I am enjoying the game a lot. No rush or anything. It can get insanely hard at times but the main storyline seems resoanble. Its opening the 8 panel doors and such that really ratchets up the difficulty.

I heard deaths door, Transistor are both really good games in this vein. I have a soft spot for action RPGs, a good one can really grab me. Next move will be to return to Zelda BOTW because that game really deserves more time from me.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice! I may return to it next year or so, but for the moment, I’ve had my fill.

1 Like

My friend’s game just got announced at the Nintendo holiday thing! Coming out summer next year:

5 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying Hyperlight Drifter! It’s a game I wish I could forget and play for the first time again.

Transistor is phenomenal. Fun gameplay, good story, gorgeous soundtrack. Deaths door is great too, though I put it down because some of the “avarice” rooms were just too hard.

1 Like

Old news apparently, but I just saw that a new (3d) Hyper Light is coming next year. With online multiplayer and everything

8 Likes

I’m keeping my expectations for hyper light breaker low. I’m not into online multiplayer games and they’ve set the bar very high with hyper light drifter. It won’t be easy to top that game, but I appreciate that they’re trying something different instead of just going for a hyper light drifter 2.

3 Likes

Wow. Im in.

1 Like

Got Portal the other day in the sale. Started playing it today. Great puzzle game.

Hyper light drifter isnt in the sale here in australia, still waiting. Supposed to be good right?

5 Likes

Halfway through I was thinking it’s clever but a bit limited. But it just gets better and better, with heaps more content than I thought. And I haven’t even started P2 yet. Enjoy!

4 Likes
Possible spoiler

Was it the part where it stopped being a series of test chambers that eliminated the perceived limitations?

2 Likes

I was trying to avoid spoilers but ahem possibly :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Don’t know if you’ve played Inside yet, but well worth a look if you enjoy darkish atmospheric puzzle games. I seem to remember @Ryan banging on about it a couple of years ago when I got my Switch, and I’m very glad he did because it’s amazing. And €2(!) at the moment which is a shameful amount to pay

4 Likes

Whaaaat?! Buy it ten times! Fantastic game! I’m gonna have to play it again. (Any time someone says “Inside” and “Ryan” I’m always having the thought “I should play that game again…”

“Ryan, its cold! Come inside!”
“Party’s over, folks. I’ve got a game to play!”)

3 Likes

Actually I got the board game for my GF a few yeara ago. I had no idea it was based on a video game.

The board game is great, and fucking hilarious, though really brain crunchy at the same time. And then you win, though you have no idea how you did it. And neither does anybody else.

2 Likes

There’s a Portal board game?! I wish I had real life friends!

7 Likes

Portal noob here too having just wrapped up the first yesterday and, yeah, fabulous.

Vague spoiler

@kairos I had that exact same feeling about it being episodic and not much narrative to thread the whole thing…but then I didnt. :fire: :moon_cake:

I was also really frustrated with the portal leaping until near then end when I realized I had been doing it totally wrong the whole time. I’ll wait on the second in case TotK doesn’t deliver the dungeons.

Nintendo put out a job posting for a puzzle designer around the same time “BotW2” was announced as in development. Fingers crossed some Portal or Outer Wilds people (any Portal fans get this game release day) applied.

Thanks to all for the shout on Limbo/Inside sale. I thought I was done buying games this year. @Ryan should I play Limbo first, or does it matter?

Great videogames are great.

3 Likes

I can’t get into botw. It’s a lot of wandering around and combat feels a little clunky. I don’t know, I got spoiled by elden ring which is the perfect game to me.

In zelda I got the ability to fly off the first area, lit a light tower below after running through a swamp and from there I jumped off and got bored. Maybe I’m missing something or just way too picky about games.

My favorite games are monster hunter world (have the newer one for switch, it’s pretty solid but more fun on console since its so hectic) elden ring, diablo, and xenoblade, which I need to dive back into. Only thing with xenoblade is i have to remember all the controls and tasks I need to do which is overwhelming at times.

2 Likes

YES! its a great game that needs to be played before Inside so that it can be fully appreciated

2 Likes

I totally get this

2 Likes

Nice I feel like I’m missing something when I don’t clock with these universally loved games but it is what it is I guess. I loved the first zelda and still do but it stinks I can’t get into many of the others.

1 Like