Bought a Nintendo Switch

Yeah im going to keep playing it. It’s pretty cool. Second try it started growing on me.

1 Like

The good news is that the strawberries are completely optional! The hearts and cassette tapes will unlock things but the strawberries do not.

You see the icicles in the middle of the screen? I can’t figure out how to get past them.

The video in this walkthrough shows the strawberry being used to protect the girl from dying on the icicles

If I’m watching the right bit, they dash to the right just before touching the spikes (but I see how it looks like they land on them). The strawberries are collectibles, they don’t have any protective power

1 Like

So it seems like getting past the spikes requires a mastery of Madeleine’s moves that is beyond my current skill level.

Celeste is probably just too hard for me. I’ll pick an easier platformer to play, then revisit Celeste later. :rofl:

The most important thing to understand is that dying A LOT is totally normal in Celeste! My death count was ridiculous :skull:

The basic moves are easy to learn, the game is all about figuring out a fairly precise sequence and nailing the whole run. It can sometimes take a lot of attempts, but the controls are really tight, and it’s so satisfying when you make it. And the muscle memory for different combinations accumulates, gradually.

Those moves are transferable to a lot of other platformers. Hollow Knight for example has the wall jump, the dash, the double jump. If you’re hating the learning curve then by all means call it a day, but it really does get easier!

1 Like

Yeah, I bought so many games thanks to the current and previous deals that I don’t need to spend too much time on one game right now.

Trying Hades next.

3 Likes

This won’t stop me from trying all the other games that I bought, but some cool Celeste tips from one of the devs, I think.

1 Like

Nice… Helped me understand why the controls feel so good. And the kind of attention to detail that takes :raised_hands:

Must be nearly time for another playthrough I think

3 Likes

I was thinking the very same thing. Watching the playthrough above I could feel my thumb muscles twitching. The controls are gorgeous.

I have so much on the backlog, though…

2 Likes

I know I’m 15 years late with this but Portal is epic! One of those where you feel like applauding at the end

Amazing sound design too. Need to play the 2nd one now

Imagine if their puzzle designers worked on Zelda shrines

6 Likes

Yeah, that was my entry back into gaming after a year focusing on music and survival and ALL OF THE DOPAMINE rushed in.

Second game is pretty good too, expands on the puzzles of the first, but the pacing is generally perceived to be less tight than the first

1 Like

Damn, these sales on the nintendo e-shop just keep on going this December. I grabbed Fez, Hades, Lacuna, and Cuphead+DLC on the weekend. And all this after treating myself with the Portal games, Metroid Dread, and Skyward Sword earlier this month. I think these will have to suffice for a few months now :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Got to give a shout out for Astral Chain - love this game! Well worth checking out.
Haven’t finished it yet though… have to hide my Switch to get music done lol

River City Girls 2 came out on Friday for those that enjoy beat-em-ups. The first one was incredibly fun. Haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but this one is up to four players, and is more of, and bigger than the first. Will report back after I play a bit. Just waiting for my daughters to feel like playing. :smiley:

1 Like

There is a guy, who optimizes old N64 code (he made 45+ FPS Super Mario on the Original N64.) And he backported Super Mario Oddysee to the N64. (Well its not Switch related - but for Nintendo fans, this very impressive feature.

4 Likes

I went from being a noob Switch owner with just Mario Kart, to having a bunch of games in short order, thanks to 2 sales promos in a row on Nintendo.com.

Momodora and Child of Light were from the first sale. Love the retro look of Momodora and relative ease as a platformer compared to other platformers. Child of Light is just lovely.

Okami HD from the 2nd sale is gorgeous, although the intro story/video is way, way longer than other games.

One of my favorites. Okami does have known pacing problems and a Navi-like sidekick using unfunny anime pervert tropes. Despite all this, it’s worldbuilding makes it one of my favorite Zelda-style games ever. Great NPCs and locations and hidden secrets

3 Likes

I enjoyed Okami HD when I played, but I also thought the pacing was a bit off. What I’m about to write can be considered as a spoiler, so please stop reading if you want to play it.

I thought I beat the final boss, but then the game told me something along the lines of “we’re just getting started”. Haven’t picked it back up since then, and I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me to go back to it. Is there any cooler stuff I’m missing out on, harder dungeons or more engaging combat in the second half of the game?

1 Like

You do get more brush powers that interact in fun ways, and some of the later dungeons have neat gimmicks and bosses, but world design mostly takes priority over difficulty. If you feel like you had your fill and need a challenge, I don’t think the rest of the game will change your mind. But if you really like the world-building, keep going

1 Like