Bowie made some good songs but

…I watched the Bowie documentary last night and wish I didn’t.

Anyone else see it?

Which Bowie documentary?

Why not?

1 Like

I don’t know how to put it…but he just seemed a bit vapid or something, overly obsessed with creating these different characters and it sort of took away any remaining mystique for me. Also, his visual art (not how he dressed over the years) is quite awful and his acting well…

Bummer. Remember his white supremacist phase?

4 Likes

You mean when he dressed like a Nazi for shock value?

2 Likes

Sadly it wasn’t only dressing up, but who knows might have been only for shock value.

4 Likes

Well not excusing any of that but wasn’t that during the heights (or lows) of his coke years?

1 Like

So they say.

2 Likes

Here’s a scathing review of the documentary, by a writer I trust.

7 Likes

I’m not going to read that but by the headline alone I can say I agree.

1 Like

I mean, the title of this thread already has me boiling. Some good songs? Pull the other one.

6 Likes

Bowie is overrated. Only stuff that’s interesting are the Berlin albums, but in the end they’re quite basic rock music. There were so many more interesting artists from that era. He was a great songwriter, I’ll give him that.

4 Likes

Well if you are wanting a “Bowie Documentary” then Moonage Daydream is bound to disappoint, but if on the other hand you want to watch something about the expansive creative life of one of the 20th centurys greatest pop/experimental musicians all done in the “cut up” technique that served him so well then this film has a lot to offer

11 Likes

Experimental… Not really. He was open to working with experimental artists but he himself was a pretty traditional songwriter.

2 Likes

With all this insight, sounds like you should do the next bowie documentary

11 Likes

Thanks, maybe I’ll do a podcast

3 Likes

Just to balance things out a bit

10 Likes

Let me know, should be bangin

No way to start this thread without it being controversial to some or many so miswell go all in…

1 Like

In the mean time you can follow me here for more great content

4 Likes