Bowie made some good songs but

Forums should only allow discussions which were already discussed.

Fans of Bowie’s music may enjoy two books by Chris O’Leary: “Rebel Rebel”, which covers up to 1976, and “Ashes to Ashes”, which covers 1976 onwards. The basis is that O’Leary analyses each of Bowie’s songs in the order in which they were written, focusing on the music and adding background material from Bowie’s personal life only when useful for discussing the music.

The books are based on O’Leary’s blog “Pushing Against the Dame”: https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com

O’Leary clearly had a lot of access to information from Bowie’s later collaborators, and doesn’t hesitate to criticise a song or album when warranted.

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Earthling the last few days and really enjoy it. Somehow never gave it a full listen before.

I wonder… what happened to concerts in the late 90s? I recall reading Reznor’s touching obituary to Bowie when he died and expressed some embarrassment about Bowie opening for NiN on whatever tour. If Bowie was alive today I wouldn’t be surprised if he was able to do 3 sold out nights at MSG or someplace similar.

I saw Joe Strummer on a solo tour around 93…really great show at a venue I grew up near (City Gardens in Trenton, NJ) and it was so empty yet some shitty hardcore band would fill the place. I can’t imagine that happening these days either.