BPM Drift with the Digitakt & Digitone?

I’m new but I’m positive I have MIDI sync settings configured correctly.

Ignore the numbers. Close your eyes. Can you hear any sync drift? I cannot.
It is normal to see momentary changes in BPM value when midi sync is present.
It is only an issue if you can hear your machines going out of time.

A number changing on a screen doesnt mean anything if there is no audible anomaly.

4 Likes

Even skyscrapers are built to sway in the wind. What doesn’t bend, breaks.
I second what @Microtribe said.
My machines flex like that too. Totally normal.

2 Likes

I have the same problem but also comes with pitch shift ( audio abnormallity !!! ) and there is the problem you can definatly hear it with your eyes close does not make for a good sound in a set
needs to be recognize by Elektron and a fix supplied PLEASE. I think there are quite a few people with the same problem Both my DT & DN can vary by .2 to .3 of a beat just sitting still with no play head on you would think that with great units like these you could have a solid clocking system

It’s just the numbers, not the actual clock that deviates. Happens with all if not most gear and should be completely inaudible because there’s no actual change in bpm, just the reading. If you actually hear pitch shifting you probably should contact Elektron because that’s definitely not normal. Or you maybe have an LFO set to tune ? :wink:

The clock is incredibly steady.
Just to give you an example, I created a loop on my xone DB4 and played the digitakt allong side it without sync. After more than 20 minutes the loop and Digitakt were still completely in sync. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to perform since the DB4 has no midi in/out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed, or @Sitar1 should post it hear for us to corroborate their experience.

Not quite. The receiver is averaging the time between the incoming MIDI clock messages over a short time window, so if there is a tiny jitter in the transmitted clock then the displayed tempo will briefly fluctuate as shown in the OP’s video. If the displayed tempo immediately reverts to the expected value then there is no drift but just a little jitter.

Agreed.

2 Likes

Interesting. Good to know. Must be an incredibly tiny fluctuation then, because the clocks from my db4 and DT stayed in sync after 20 to 25 minutes. I think at the very end of the test there was a hint of phasing audible.

They’ll stay in sync indefinitely, but the tempo value on the following device (and thus synchronised delay times) fluctuates slightly.

1 Like

They were not actually synced in this test I did , that was my point :wink:
Just a loop and the DT playing allong side each other without any sync. Just same BPM used, so 2 different clocks. Eventually they will drift from each other as I noticed at the end of the 25 minutes where a slight phasing was audible.

Ah oops, misread!

1 Like

OK, so here you are talking about drift between the internal clocks of the two devices rather than the ability of one device to follow another when synced by MIDI clock, which is what the OP was concerned about.

1 Like

Yes.
See my first reply. I was just giving an example of how steady the internal clocks actually are. The replies after that have just made the entire thing more vague than it was :wink:
I should maybe have pointed out that the DT was sending its clock to another DT as well.

Is the digitakt the master clock. Or are you Daisy chaining with a master midi clock coming from somewhere up there chain (daw etc)

Hi guys
Thankyou so much for your response to this issue. after much testing , connecting and reconnecting & menu diving i think the issue is from usb especially overbridge
when engaging both of them under overbridge control and moving parametters on the units there would be a noticable audio pitch drift and watching the bpm +/- . 2 on the meter
i feel the problem may have come from some sort of loop back when using overbridge and the mkIII both being usb connections to the computer. Have been running now for an hour with on the path stated below and no overbrige and very steady :slight_smile: ( sorry :frowning: for my remarks about not having solid clock i do love these units. The MkIII has templates for the DT & DN will try not to use them
i also do get some other glitches with overbridge connections to the units at times
Midi Path;
Novation sl mkiii , midi in DT, midi out sync A from DT to , midi in DT
Computer ;
i7 8750h / 32gb Ram Dell Laptop

Thank you to all if it pops up again will let you know
To you Dave Love your work and energy

Oh
Have you ever seen a DT with no filter button but 2 X SRC buttons mine is like this
:slight_smile:

Contact support. They’ll send you the one you’re missing.

Since the latest Overbridge update (2.0.60), I get this too. It wasn’t there before. There’s some Topics talking about this issue with different OB devices.

thanks for your feed back atleast i now know its definatly know it not just my setup
will wait in anticipation for any news over the next months

1 Like

Hey there, same problem here and it’s driving me insane… Any news on this?