Brand new vid - “Control” - Digitone music, Cathodemer visuals

I want some of my tracks to evoke a feeling of technologically codependent dystopia — still-relevant 80s cyberpunk literature given musical voice through the algorithms of that era, bent into making sounds their early pop adopters would have hated.

Alternatively: it’s synthwave, but instead of racing down a coastal highway in your head, you’re escaping a Shiba City office complex pursued by yakuza and augmented ex-mil private security.

Because Syndicate > Outrun, no competition.

Here’s the video, hope you like it:

The Digitone is the perfect tool for this. It lets you sound futuristically retro — lo-fi sci-fi — without falling into cliché. (At least not by accident)

The graphics are from Cathodemer which makes a deliberate attempt to emulate video hardware of long gone days, warts and all. It’s all software but can only really do things that were possible in old-school hardware systems like Scanimate. It’s dead cheap (currently £12.74 on Steam) and a bit buggy, but still a good place to start with video synthesis in general. And its look and feel are perfect for this kind of aesthetic.

At some point I’ll post a follow up on how I got all the bits talking to each other, something like a tutorial for your first A/V synth project.

2 Likes

enjoyed both the track and the video, nice