Buchla + Elektron

I am about to be the owner of a Djangosfire-built Roman V2 Buchla 208r module, which is my first proper foray into West Coast synthesis. I intend to (partially) control it the from my A4 via CV (and format jumbler to banana jacks)…

Anyone else interfacing Buchla with Elektrons? I’ve seen quite a few people pairing the OT with the newer “official” 208c, but the V2 is a lot closer to the originals interconnectivity-wise from what I understand.

6 Likes

If you don’t already know, it could be worth asking the seller if the 208 was calibrated for 1 or 1.2 V per octave. It should be trivial to set up the a4, but still good to know.

My 208 is a v1, and I’ve kept the Buchla as a self contained instrument, so I can’t help directly, but I’m interested in your experience.

2 Likes

It is apparently 1.2 v/oct. According to @Scot_Solida the Keystep I’m also wanting to use doesn’t do 1.2, but you can scale and set the root pitch on the Buchla itself… so isn’t really an issue.
I’m now thinking that I’ll mainly use the A4 to advance the 208’s step sequencer (with probability) and send the other three CV outs elsewhere in my setup.

If anyone has Buchla sound clips/videos please feel free to share here!

congrats on the purchase! I don’t have direct experience with the 208r. I know that some favor it mainly because there’s “real” vactrols in it versus the 208c. or something like that. so it should sound awesome! :metal:

if you haven’t already, I’d poke around the 4U forum on MW for more information on this. or post a new thread. lots of folks using Buchla over there, and many who own the 208r or have even built their own. so you’ll probably get more answers over there.

2 Likes

Aw you lucky dog! Congrats.

Also, don’t forget about Ableton Suite’s CV tools if you have it. Just make sure your interface outs are DC coupled.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I do use Ableton and just learned that in MOTU 1248 interface I’m getting is indeed DC coupled.

https://motu.com/products/avb/1248/specs.html

1 Like

You will need some sort of 3.5mm to banana converter, Your DC coupled outputs from your interface and the A4 will carry the ground on the sleeve of the jack. Banana jacks do not carry a ground. You will need the converter to establish a common ground for patching. Searching for something like ‘euro to buchla’ will get you some available products.

1 Like

It’s coming with a blue “format juggler” box, 8 cv-to-banana. Should suffice :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is handy

there are a number of options though depending on what else you have. it’s also helpful to have something that can guarantee the accuracy of your 1/1.2v/oct cvs, i had to calibrate the vcos on my 208p a bit after it was shipped to me

1 Like

You should be all set then!

1 Like

Nice! I would love to get a new Buchla Easel Command Desktop unit to use with my Elektrons. That and new touch keyboard would be fun! Since it has MIDI that would simplify the process versus dealing with banana to cv and midi conversion challenges.

1 Like