Buchla LEM218 v3

Looks and sounds like they were made for one another!

3 Likes

what ? that’s insane. I have a 208C : it’s a steel case. I’ve opened the thing up too (to install the USB Host chip & change some jumper settings) - it’s all built nicely.

how the hell has your friend ended up with one with a plastic case ?!

He got it from Juno.

yeah - me too !

Are you sure that’s plastic ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I don’t think that’s plastic…

He’s gonna have to check the material with the ‘burn test’ I think :-P.

2 Likes

or unscrew the 208c module. it’ll be obvious that it’s steel.

Magnet.

2 Likes

genius! :partying_face:

2 Likes

I’ll tell you what’s genius - bwo pairing the LEM218 with the Waldorf M !

Any other ideas ?
This little keyboard, makes a very expressive companion.

3 Likes

Anything that takes MPE would be a start. Just seeing his performance opened up the gates for any other MPE instrument.

Just to be clear though LEM218 isn’t MPE there is no x/y on the keys themselves… I’m not totally certain but I don’t think it does poly aftertouch either (although mechanically speaking it seems like it should be able to). The top knobs on the right in conjunction with the pads change how the arp moves in the directed random mode, they also send breath control cc and the pads can optionally transpose. The velocity in the arp I think is changed by pressure and might give the appearance of poly aftertouch… but I think this is more just a good example of how expressive old fashioned midi can be with the right controller.

2 Likes

Ok good to know

I think I am going to try out this 3020m analog ewi module nextimage

all its presets are set up with breathe control in mind so it will nice to have the 4 knobs/pads to jump between breathe settings I think. The formant filters on the EWI has a very natural woodwind type sound to it and then you also have a normal resonant filter in front of those so it should be some good fun.

1 Like

haha. I find it sort of hard to believe that he’s got the one 208C in the world with a random plastic boat … Buchla don’t even make plastic boats… :rofl:

Well, I don’t know, I believed him when he told me that he was kind of shocked by the build quality.
I will suggest him the magnet test, lol, so funny.
Anyhow, sorry for the noise in here.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:
no problem ! I mean, we all have our own opinions I guess : I’ve got no qualms about the build quality of my 208C at all : it gets gigged ( transported in a Peli case ) pretty regularly: in fact I’m about to start my first of a run of at least 12 shows this year on Saturday. Love mine

Reading the LEM218v3 thread over on Mod Wigglers & it seems like people who’ve snagged one already are really happy with it - including the build quality. Guess I’ll be diving in eventually. I think I’d rather get the 218 separately, rather than putting my 208 in an Easel case, as it looks like a rad controller keyboard for loads of stuff - given the MIDI, USB & CV connections too. I bet it’d be great driving my Verbos system too…

4 Likes

My LEM218v3 arrived yesterday!

made some triple banana’s today to hook it up!!!

5 Likes

Does the connecting cable to the command station come with the LEM218?

Nope. You get a power brick, a ground strap, and a Midi adapter.

2 Likes