Buchla & Tiptop Audio Series 200 Eurorack Modules

thanks for nothing, idiots

1 Like

Ok, so based on 2 replies the answer to this question is no, because real banana patch cables don’t work with the TipTop modules.

So, next question, can we use regular 3.5 mm Eurorack cables with the TipTops, or are stacking 3.5 mm cables like the TipTop Stackcables an absolute, non-negotiable necessity?

Yes.

No

3 Likes

I hope the release an entire line of them, Enough to fill like an 84 HP 9U case and that they include some more interesting modules from the Buchla linage. I’ve wanted a proper Buchla since they released the 200e but since the traditional Buchla modules are so needlessly overprice this is the closest I (and many many many others) could possibly get.

if they manage to make all the ones they’ve listed on the site that will 130HP

and given how fast they are selling, I think they’ll likely continue making more…it would be really great to have some of the really bonkers in Eurorack format

I was going to get an Easel, but decided to go with a tiptop Buchla 200 system instead. The Easel is great, but I think having a 200t system is more interesting and flexible–at less than half the price. I’m impressed with the 258t and 281t, so I think it’s going to be an amazing system once the planned modules all get released. The downside is, it looks like it’ll take a couple years given supply chain issues.

2 Likes

The full list of modules they intend to produce is here:

“We recommend signing up for the project newsletter to get news updates on the progress of the projects and news alert when individual modules become available. Please also join the project’s user group on Facebook to receive all news and more.”

the stackcables just mimic the workflow of bananas, and somewhat negate the need to use a multiple. working with bananas is nice because you don’t have to be knee deep in your patch and go “oh I want to distribute this signal multiple places… here let me disconnect it, connect it to a multiple and then distribute that signal to those places…” you just plug another cable into the jack already plugged into the signal’s origin, and keep stacking 'em up as needed. but unlike stackcables, you can connect a banana plug to the sides of a jack as well (usually when the stack starts to get ridiculous!). you can also go to the destination and plug a cable into that to carry the signal along; no idea if you can do that with stackcables.

anyway… you don’t need stackcables for euro. but if you decide not to get 'em, you’ll need some multiples. which are usually pretty cheap.

2 Likes

They’ve said more modules are coming, this is just the beginning.
As for stackable 3.5mm, It’s nice to have at least a couple of them.

1 Like

Forgot there was a thread on those here ! For those you are curious about the dual VCO I did a few video about it since I got it:

8 Likes

Yes, that works and is very useful, as are those star-shaped TRS mini-jack splitters sold for use with phone audio etc in place of passive mults. I use a couple of the latter for sharing a clock around my modular as well as various semi-modular and they work very well for this and can be dangled out of the way quite easily (on may case as it is right now, anyway).

That’s interesting - I had no idea, but I’ve never used banana cables.

1 Like

that’s what the holes are for! :+1:

2 Likes

That’s amazing! I never knew.

1 Like

You mean more than the 6 or 7 on the website?

AFAIK from what was said during interviews around Superbooth that the ones listed are the only ones coming - but as usual, that if people want more they’ll look into making them

Honestly, to get a good Buchla experience, those 6-7 are enough. You msy want some duplicates of course, but with that collection, you can do SO much. You may want a skiff full of other control modules, maybe some other sequencing, but those TT modules will get you a TON of sonic territory.

and there really weren’t that many:
https://www.synthmuseum.com/buchla/buc200mods.html
and this list has a bunch that duplicate functionality.
so if TipTop did a second series of 7-8 more you’d really have the whole range
not that I’d expect them to make a Eurorack version of the Multiple Arbitrary Function generator

1 Like

Just the 259 and maybe 296 would be great!

Could really just repanel a few non-Buchla modules to fill in some gaps too.

2 Likes

yes, pretty sure I read/heard that.

first two modules arriving on monday. on tuesday i have to leave my home and move several hundred miles away from my beloved partner. if throwing everything i own in the trash would buy me another day with her, i would, but it doesn’t work like that. perhaps i’ll make a fucking song about it on my new dual fucking oscillator

4 Likes