Buying Advice on Reverb.com

I’m in the process of buying a piece of gear for a very good price well £820 so not pocket change on Reverb but it’s collection only not to far from me

The seller won’t give me his address details until I’ve paid for it but he’s got good feed back

So when I go to pay there’s no PayPal option only card payment

So how do I stand because I know at least Im covered by PayPal but with reverb I don’t know

Unfortunately I don’t have a credit card only a debit card so that would be my only option to pay

Any advice would be great

Thanks

As far as I’m aware, paying by debit card does not provide you with the same level of protection as paying by credit card so if you have any doubts about the transaction then that’s important to bear in mind.

Although I imagine most people have had no problem buying/selling on Reverb, I had an issue with a dodgy transaction relatively recently and in that instance their customer service was poor. I was eventually able to get my funds back but the experience has put me off Reverb for life.

3 Likes

if it’s through Reverb Payments, should also be covered (and if there’s a dispute, Reverb should handle it directly – if you pay through PayPal and something goes wrong, Reverb basically says go talk to PayPal)

2 Likes

I hear you but what If i pay he sends his address it’s wrong then says I’ve collected

Then it’s his word against mine

I’ve asked him to send me his address and when I collect and see it I will make the payment

Trouble is the deal sounds to good to true to be honest

1 Like

Danger Will Robinson!

You are going to pick up an item but you can not look at it before payment? Sounds like he is hiding something… If you say the deal sounds too good… it likely is.

1 Like

I’d suggest to prevent yourself the possible hassle and try to save some money to buy the piece for a normal price from a less dodgy seller.

2 Likes

I’d suggest avoiding this seller too, most people would be happy to allow to view before payment.

The Reverb payments guidance only seems to mention proof of payment and shipment in the event of an issue, and with collection there would be no proof of shipment.

This is a similar issue that means we shouldn’t accept PayPal for items that are being collected.

The Reverb terms say:

Orders must be carried out directly through the Reverb website or mobile app to qualify for Reverb Protection. This includes record of both payment and shipment.

Reverb will cover any disputes. The dispute process is 14 days to deliver, 7 days to refund.

Reverb will obfuscate any PII sent in private messages on its platform, if it catches it. So, sellers will not share that info until after purchase on local pickup posts. You can get around this by arranging for a meetup location.

If a seller is not willing to let you demo a local pickup only item before paying, do not buy it. That sounds like a sketchy seller. MAke sure to always read ratings and make sure they are not just purchase ratings.

Thanks guys I will see what he says

Just a update the seller has agreed for me to pay on collection after checking it over so all good

Thanks for the advice guys

Better to be safe than sorry

1 Like

Just adding for local pickup/

Only the buyer can mark received and funds are not provided to the seller unless that’s done

It’s different with shipping where the seller (with a good history) can get a payout as soon as it’s shipped.

That’s gotten complicated for me before when a prominent producer purchased a rare unit I was selling and sent his assistant (who did not have access to his Reverb account) across town to pick it up. So “you don’t leave with the item until receipt is confirmed through the app” needs to be emphasized.

Agreed on the seller side. Pay- come check out the item, if it doesn’t meet then I’ll refund you there. If it does, click received and I’ll help you put it in your car.

The seller from the OP sounded like they were causing some anxiety so wanted to mention that the buyer does have they protection.

My two cents: I’ve sold quite a few items on Reverb, and if someone demanded my address before buying, I wouldn’t give them the information. What are you trying to do, rob me?

Local pickup is just a convenience thing as opposed to shipping. You don’t get to try someone’s item when they ship it, and Reverb’s disputes handles the case of a broken/fraudulent item. I see local pickup as operating in the same way.