Bye Bye Burt Bacharach

Just came to quietly pay my respects on the ‘Burt Bacharach has passed’ topic only to discover it was mine to create … where to begin, so many amazing songs …

not one of the classics by an iconic singer, but this is a wonderful take from our Jim …

and one of the many worthy classics …

13 Likes

Seriously, the HITS Burt was responsible for. This Guy’s in Love With You is so beautiful. I Say a Little Prayer. Walk on By. What the World Needs Now is Love. Close to You. And what a lady-killer! Good long life as well. Fair play Mr Bacharach, fair play.

6 Likes

grew up on the Naked Eyes version (still slaps) but Lou Johnson absolutely kills it

and then there’s Dusty . . .

4 Likes

A giant, and an inspiration! RIP

8 Likes

Honestly didn’t realize Something Big was a cover. Listening to the original for the first time I find myself completely able to sing along. Love the brass arrangements.

2 Likes

I loved his collaboration with Elvis Costello.

2 Likes

As a child of the late 60’s, early 70’s, I spent a lot of time soaking in the AM airwaves, usually courtesy of my parent’s avocado green clock radio, or from the backseat of the family station wagon. As such, I heard a lot of Bacharach tunes. A few notes is all it take to send me straight back to my childhood. It was the perfect soundtrack to a pleasant and simple time in my life. Thank you, Mr. Bacharach - you made me smile.

6 Likes

The man could write a song. And he did.

I get this one stuck in my head more than most, and I love it. Thanks Mr. B.

4 Likes
6 Likes

holy crap the oasis cover :sob:

2 Likes

OK, one more. (Check out the album!)

4 Likes

they don’t make’s like Burt anymore :frowning_face:

2 Likes

rest in peace

One of the greats. It’s a cliche, but -
can anyone now alive write songs like that?

1 Like

What a composer. RIP.
One of my favourites is this song, here in a 80’s production by Arif Mardin. From the Chaka Khan album I Feel For You.

1 Like

i mean, they can . . .

DAWs killed the chords tho

There’s this wave of prog-pop stuff with lots of complexity (seems to be a lot of crossover with Youtube personalities?), but none of it leads to actual good, memorable songs, it feels like bad jazz. Of course there’ll be stuff out there that I don’t know about. Hopefully?