Calling all travelers: making money on the road

I mean, it’s difficult to find people who are willing to work any brutal night/morning schedule, willing to prove themselves, and willing to stay around.

The latter two might be most difficult for you as you pop from city to city.

As gentrification crushes the fuck out of any life still remaining. I really love a lot of what grows in FL (certainly can’t do citrus in WA without a grow op) but I do not miss living in South Florida.

1 Like

Yea, literally all I eat is Southern food, Cajun food, some Mexican food, and Jamaican/tropical food. The Asian stores near me don’t really have their unique tropical foods found in tropical India, or Japan, China, maybe Fiji, etc. Plus you can grow nice tobacco here. Cassava, you have to take a flamethrower to cassava to kill it. It’s a pure survival staple food. The things you can grow here are precisely why I find it hard to move.

As you move further north you get into “standard American diet” territory, and I’ve had too many exotic things to revert to that.

But, I overheat easily. I sweat like I took a shower every time I step out of the door because it’s so humid. I’m about to permanently switch to going shirtless and strapping on a loincloth.

I’ve eaten fruits that 99% of the world’s population likely hasn’t, I love it. I mean natural fruits you can’t imagine, things that taste like Jolly Ranchers, or cotton candy, bubble gum… All natural and healthy. If the water wasn’t so polluted I would not be vegan and I would feel comfortable fishing snook. Again, more of a space problem. 99% of those fruits come from trees you have to grow yourself or get the fruits from a friend, and the lack of space here is immense.

3 Likes

Fruit picking in Australia might suit you. There’s an established circuit - few weeks in each area picking fruit, pay is OK. There’s a ‘backpackers visa’ you might be eligible for designed for that kind of work.

5 Likes

Welding is fun and pays well.

3 Likes

in your future… i see travels, with much hardship and social anxiety but a grand pay off… I see a person, of unknown gender age and race changing your life in unknown ways…

2 Likes

In modern society you can change those three attributes at a whim!

2 Likes

Sometimes I watch welding videos on YouTube… I find them therapeutic.

I can’t say I’m mad at the rich via what I stated, as all I stated were facts. If those facts inherently seem like anger, well, the underlying issue may well present itself.

1 Like

I do not want wealth. I stated that just a few comments ago unless you didn’t read them.

I want the land in which I’ve grown up in for 2 decades to not be destroyed when there exists plenty of homes to house our citizens.

I am not allowed to chop down a single tree with my axe, but if you have enough money you can raze entire forests. I don’t expect you to care what a peasant has to say, though.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Another way of looking at it is how to mitigate costs. One thing you can do is live in a home stay, another could be participating in some kind of foreign community program. Anything that could potentially give you accomodation for free or at least provide it or some other benefit. In either of those cases you embed into local community who may be able to provide opportunities for you. I’ve always done the latter when travelling, only in Asia has it been more of a vacation. But for the US and Europe, I try to apply to some creative residency or study abroad or something, and the experiences you have going that way are incredible, lifetime memories and development.

2 Likes

This was all supposed to be relatively whimsical, I was just seeking some commentary, not necessarily life altering dictation.

My plan is to visit Ireland for… 2-3 weeks, testing the one-bag travel system and refining it for my next trip. But I’d like to keep myself open to the unexpected. If I have the opportunity to stay longer somewhere, I want to. Will that happen? No idea, I’m not intending for it due to monetary restrictions, but if I find an interesting position I like, why not? I’ve never experienced any sort of city life before, I live in the semi-rural suburbs where walking doesn’t exist.

The bit is that where I am now, doesn’t necessarily feel like home, so I don’t have any attachment to it. I like the climate and the food but it doesn’t have any sort of communal aspect to it.

My intent was akin to finding a random Irish lad on here who I’ve messaged already. That is what I am looking for. The unexpected and rolling with it and not being too concerned over if things turn out perfectly. I’m trying to let things go more often and look for positivity. I don’t get paid to be miserable.

Yes, I complain about infrastructure a lot. I’ve watched way too much “NotJustBikes” learning about poor anti-human infrastructure, this is another thing I am interested in documenting during my travels. How various countries tackle public transit, road systems, bicycles, urban planning…

2 Likes

Reminds me of an ex client that called his employees peasants to their face. Grody!

3 Likes

I got a few job offers when traveling in the US, basically the only requirements were a pair of hands and no hard drug addiction. Nowadays I’d be able to make a living by translating documents (that’s my side gig atm), but my wife probably wouldn’t appreciate such a change in lifestyle lol. Travel while you can.

4 Likes

Truth!

4 Likes

Ireland is the second foreign country I ever traveled to (Trinidad and Tobago was the first), actually took my Ma there twice in my 20s. Although I haven’t been in like 20 years I couldn’t think of a better place for an American to travel to in Europe for the first time not considering cost as I’m sure there are cheaper options. Be sure to read Dubliners if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

Have you been to Nijmegen?

Just caught this BBC travel piece on it:

1 Like

Like I said, I have barely left my own town.

America is huge. I’ve been to NYC with high school band, Georgia with band, explored a couple good bits of Florida but that’s it. I remember those things vividly even though I didn’t leave with anything that money can physically buy.

Ireland looks great because you can explore so much of your very own nation with ease, via rail. It’s smaller, more intimate. Every nook and cranny is waiting to be discovered.

Maybe my notions of Florida will change when this high speed railway opens from Miami to Orlando and America begins to see what it’s lost by dismissing rails.

Some people see all of America, but that’s “their thing”. You know? It’s the main thing they do besides their work, or perhaps that even is their work at that point.

Ireland is barely the size of an American state. In 3 weeks I could cover so much ground and that is exciting to me. I’m not a quick and dirty type. I really want to see what each region has to offer and experience it slowly.

I could sit near those rainy, misty, moss covered cliff banks and accidentally starve to death because the world has fallen away in peace.

I may be from Florida but I will admit one of my favorite things here is seeing the bright blinding sun fade away, eclipsed by dark clouds to bring life sustaining rains. We currently have a drought so perhaps that’s why it’s on my mind. I don’t like using city water to water my garden.

Edit: have you seen “Rick Steve’s Europe”? On YouTube? Perhaps that’s got this travel kick in gear for me. Europe looks so accessible. It was developed long before the Industrial Revolution. America grew up alongside the automobile, which is why everything is automobile based. In Europe, plenty enough is foot based, which is what I prefer.

1 Like

Well, don’t overthink / romanticize it too much just go and do some travel. It will be a lot different than you imagine, very rewarding, but full of pitfalls like all of life.

I watched Rick Steve on PBS as a kid. Check out Michael Palin’s travel show but travel shows are like cooking shows, they never spend 30mins showing you someone doing the dishes.

4 Likes

WWOOF (willing workers on organic farms) might be of interested, you probably already know about it…

3 Likes