Calling all travelers: making money on the road

Fortunately travelling has no age :wink:

1 Like

I’m from SF but decided to move down to Puerto Escondido in Mexico about a year ago. I had no plans to work again because I’ve saved up enough money to retire even though I am only in my 50s. I started hanging around at this restaurant/club on this beautiful beach. I liked it because they had DJs and good electronic music. One day the owner told me that he was going to start having DJs in the mornings Well from 10 AM until 2 PM until the other DJs came in. I had been a DJ my whole life starting in 1989 and I stopped around 2010. I told him Trip hop and Chill out. Music would be perfect for his bar. Actually, I told him the first couple hours Ambient music would be nice. He trusted me and gave me a day. After a week he asked me if I want to do five days . I bought a little DJ controller and for the past nine months it’s been like a dream to be able to DJ on the beach get paid and get free food and drinks. I really feel blessed.

7 Likes

I got a english teaching certificate and taught corporate offices in Western Union in Mexico city, and then moved on to banks and H&M corporate as a business english teacher. It payed like 14-15 dollars an hour, and I would get my pay in cashiers checks. Was a good way to earn a living while living in CDMX for several years in the mid 2010’s… I think the environment changed a lot there against foreigners in CDMX, but I would DJ at night a lot. I went for a business opportunity from there to Colombia for some years after ihad become a translator. I enjoyed teaching English though. One of the best decisions of my life, but it didn’t feel like a career, there were definitely a few older people there but you get burned out after a year or two for real.

1 Like

Careers, family, pets…
I’ve had my share of trips to tell stories about, but now a weekend out would be the most I could hope for. Next month I’m getting out of the country for a few days for the first time in 3+ years. But the plans after that include a pet and a pregnancy.

I think there’s definitely a pushback against tech workers (and airbnb?) but so far as artists go we felt completely welcome. Probably because we weren’t displacing anyone!

the thing is, the tech bros are only displacing rich mexicans living in condessa/roma norte… and airbnb tech bros are actually just a drop in the bucket, and a complete net gain for the economy. This is another discussion, but it really started right after I left and would just see rich girl dj’s complaining about it. I really recommend a year of teaching english in your late 20s or early 30s in LATAM.