Can i still use yellow trigs if externally sequenced?

Like if i use my pyramid, digitone or a4 to sequence patterns can i still use the onboard sequencer with yellow trigs too?

1 Like

Yes! I meant to check this for someone the other day and completely forgot. Just tried now and it seems to work fine :+1:

Quite powerful as a feature. You can also stick some normal trigs in there to add some sequencing variety, create polymeters etc.

2 Likes

Siiick! I know what im doing when i get home :joy:

1 Like

Oh wow, would it work for the Rytm too ?

I would assume so - I don’t have one handy to check I’m afraid - I just tried quickly on a Digitone

(I should be able to check tomorrow for you though :slight_smile: But someone else can probably get there before me)

Sending midi from an Ableton Live clip to the DT (transport & sync receive enabled), it’s very flakey here.
DT has no trigs in the pattern except for a yellow-trigged reverb send on step 1 (kick track)
Clip itself plays fine, but you can only hear a tiny part of the verb, as though most of the drum sound is missed. Or it doesn’t sound at all unless you’re in rec mode and hold the yellow trig.

Might have more luck with hardware seq…?

In that case you would only be sending a short burst of the sound (however long trig one takes to execute) into the reverb, and then immediately turning it back to 0 - so that sounds about right? If you wanted the reverb to send during the whole sound then you would need yellow trigs for the duration, not the step.

Holding down the trig in rec mode is auditioning the sound (and ignoring the sequencer).

Even if there’s a short delay from Ableton that would be present in the sequence itself so it shouldn’t make anything on the takt out of sync, if you know what I mean.

the DT seq rate is slow (1/4x scale) so should be long enough to catch plenty of a kick.
it’s not working with filter/bitrate/vol etc either.

I’ll get a quick example, I’m doing something with the gear shortly - make sure we’re on the same page etc. I do have a digitakt nearby but tbh I don’t see it working any differently than the digitone for this.

(will be a bit later that I upload it)

Edit: Try putting yellow trigs on step 1 + 2, not just step 1 - see if that does what you need.

Edit 2: Also try the exact same thing but with a normal trig and no external sequencing - does it sound different?

Ok thanks !
…gasing intensifies…

Here’s a video of me doing some trigless trig stuff on an external sequence. I should have slowed it down to better match your example @garf but hopefully it’s a useful demo?

3 Likes

Hey, I think we were talking about this in the context of the Oxi One on another thread. Nice! So it is possible after all

1 Like

I mean, it makes total sense, because as long as transport starts the sequencer, i don’t see why it wouldn’t. It might be interesting to see if there are conflicting instructions from external MIDI and the internal sequencer (trig locks). I guess in that case the last MIDI message to arrive overrides the previous one

Cool, DN works just as you said cheers :slight_smile:
Did you manage to try it on the DT (that’s what we’re talking about)? What are you using to seq?
I’m probably missing something obvious and being stupid but maybe it’s a DT-only issue

I didn’t but it’s the same sequencer so I wouldn’t expect it to behave any differently really - I don’t have the takt setup so would be a bit of a faff. This was sequencing from an Oxi One but there shouldn’t be anything special there.

Now sequencing the DT from the AK, no computer involved. Still doesn’t work.

Damn well curiosity will probably get the better of me I’ll report back at some point lol

1 Like

This video by Parts Project shows some interesting ways to use DT in response to an external midi sequencer

Digitakt scenes possible with external sequencer!

There’s another video by them with midi tracks too

I was wondering the same thing recently. So far it looks like it doesn’t work on drum oriented machines, but works on “synths”. Here is the list (some I checked myself, other info from different ppl).

Doesn’t work on :
AR
M:C
Digitakt

Works on:
Monomachine
A4
Digitone

My topic on this here

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for the info - I could’ve saved myself a lot of head scratching if I’d just searched heh.

OP: the answer is no, unfortunately.