Can listening to rap keep you young?

I used to get these from 7-11 to increase my rap stamina :muscle:
They tasted good, but good luck if you can get your hands on a vintage copy.

2 Likes

not sure about listening to it, but learning how to freestyle will definitely shake the cobwebs out of your head

2 Likes

For someone who’s very limited knowledge about rap and rap culture comes from news headlines, I have the impression that rap significantly reduces the likelihood of getting old. Not excactly the same, but… potato potato. :roll_eyes:

Tip : the word rap can be kind of cringe

Yeah it can, to all the new school wannabe fakers who aren’t old enough to remember

2 Likes

Not sure about that but try this:

I keep my Memphis tapes in my bathroom cabinet next to my jar of Olay.

I’m 40 and still get ID’d for alcohol so this regimen has certainly worked for me.

1 Like

2 Likes

Weren’t a lot of Memphis albums basically lost to the greater public because they were only released on cassette?

Yeah, I think outside of some of the bigger acts (Three 6 Mafia etc.) a lot of it was pretty unknown elsewhere until rips started turning up on blogs in the 2000s. I’m sure plenty of them are lost to time as well.

Personally I like to keep up to date with all the popular rap bands.
LL and his Cool Jays and so on.
And I’m always getting asked for ID on my yearly jaunt around the Cotswolds on a SAGA over 50s excursion.

Have you seen this?

1 Like

I’m 44, so pretty much the same age as hip hop. I lived through the “golden age” and it was the best time/genre ever. It seemed like it was going to actually change the world. There was a sense of purpose and positivity, even in the darker tracks, that felt limitless. The whole culture was about uplifting peoples spirits. The jazz samples opened up our ears to the last forgotten peak music moment. I always say this era peaked with Nas and Lauren Hill “if I ruled the world”. Hip Hop is elemental and sampling is an electronic way of communicating with the spirits.

And the “they” knew all this too. So along comes Suge Knight, Sean Combs, and Shawn Carter. Biggie and Tupac are eliminated. The tables are turned. There’s money to be laundered, I mean made. Bad actors get involved. OutKast makes a stand but unfortunately they ushered in a style of music that is so far from the original intent of hip hop that it could only be described as demonic. Hypnotic repetitive ostinato shite, drenched in benzos. Purple drank zombies mumbling into the mic. This disease is now widespread with the white sad bois and emo juicewrld wannabes making reels and shorts of their latest face tat.

The real shit is and was always underground, and when you find it you feel eternal, not just young.

2 Likes