Can OT do this?

Hi, I’m looking at the OT as a possible solution for specific live use.

Basically, I need to play stereo backing tracks (one per song), and switch between them seamlessly.

I understand that I can use static machines to stream large samples.
Can I set up one pattern per song, each pattern containing a track containing that song’s backing track (not timestretched), and then select the desired song with Pattern+ Trig and hit play to start it?

Related to that, if I select a new pattern, will the previous pattern’s static sample continue to play to its end until I stop/start the sequencer?

Also related, I need to change programs on another device (MPC 1000).
Ideally I would like to do this from my MIDI controller. Can I switch between patterns (and thus backing tracks) by sending prog changes from my master controller?

(I realise this is a criminally simple use of the OT, rest assured that I am also interesting in delving into it’s creative uses but this is a functional requirement for a specific project).

Thanks!

sk

I understand that I can use static machines to stream large samples.
Can I set up one pattern per song, each pattern containing a track containing that song’s backing track (not timestretched), and then select the desired song with Pattern+ Trig and hit play to start it?

well yes, you can do that. but bear in mind that stopping the sequencer also stops playback (the samples do not play till the end, only thing left sounding is the delay/reverb/any other effect tail), but that’s not an issue as you can switch between patterns mid-playback and the pattern changes upon previous pattern’s end.
also, within a single pattern, you can manually trigger track playback using the OT’s step buttons (or from an external device if that’s your flavour) OR just trig sample playback (thus trigging only the sample that is assigned to a track sans everything else you can put on a pattern like automation and stuff) using the rest of the step buttons (or - again - using an ext controller)

Related to that, if I select a new pattern, will the previous pattern’s static sample continue to play to its end until I stop/start the sequencer?

actually you cen set it up as you like - you either set the track to ‘start silent’ (thus playing a new pattern kills the tail from the previous pattern) or not (thus the sample from the former pattern plays until the end or until the sequencer hits a trig on the new pattern)

Also related, I need to change programs on another device (MPC 1000).
Ideally I would like to do this from my MIDI controller. Can I switch between patterns (and thus backing tracks) by sending prog changes from my master controller?

yes, you can change patterns with an external controller ie. an MPD32.

(I realise this is a criminally simple use of the OT, rest assured that I am also interesting in delving into it’s creative uses but this is a functional requirement for a specific project).

simplicity + creativity > everything else :wink:

That’s basically using the Octatrack as a DJ platform, or kind of, isn’t it?

Set backing track 1 on track 1, place a trig to start the sample.
Have the crossfader assigned to fade volumes between track 1 and track 2 (or track 5, why not).
When desired, set backing track 2 on track 2 (or 5, or any other track), place a trig to start playback.
Use the crossfader to seamlessly switch between your backing tracks.

Use more scenes to have up to 8 backing tracks on the same pattern!!

Awesome, thanks for your answers. Looks like the OT would likely tick the boxes.

To be honest, I am also lusting after the OT for it’s creative potential, but I do have these specific requirements for one particular project of mine.

Cheers

Quick reply to jaal madaken

Kind of, but since myself and other band members will be busy doing other things (keys, guitars, bass, beer) I don’t want to have to reassign things mid-set.

Sounds like you’re suggesting reassigning things on the fly? Apologies if I misunderstand, I don;t have one yet, trying to gauge suitability from the manual and forum posts.

That’s basically using the Octatrack as a DJ platform, or kind of, isn’t it?

yes, it’s a staple.

Set backing track 1 on track 1, place a trig to start the sample.
Have the crossfader assigned to fade volumes between track 1 and track 2 (or track 5, why not).
When desired, set backing track 2 on track 2 (or 5, or any other track), place a trig to start playback.
Use the crossfader to seamlessly switch between your backing tracks.

Use more scenes to have up to 8 backing tracks on the same pattern!!

yes, that’s basically how you do it. the simplest setup is this: track 1 is your A deck, track 5 is your B deck (that’s te most convenient setup - opposite sides of the display). you set the x-fader to fade between, load up a bunch of tracks and your good to go!
actually you don’t need to switch between scenes to achieve basic DJ functionality as the crossfader is always rigged to transition betweeen deck A and B. you change up your tracks in the background and the either trig them from the sequencer (where you can use ableton-like pattern length quantise on playback start) or just mash them manually!
the remaining six tracks can be used in a multitude of ways: neighbour tracks for extra effects, pickup tracks for live remix looping, flex/static tracks for one-shot sample add-ins or another pair of decks!
plus, you can sacrifice track 8 to be a master track and do some nifty tricks there (think echo freeze delay or master compressor or LO FI EVERYTHING).

basically it does pretty much everything you’d need in a live setup. it has it quirks and drawbacks, but once you get the OT’s logic, you can pretty much work around any shortcoming

___________________ EDIT

Sounds like you’re suggesting reassigning things on the fly? Apologies if I misunderstand, I don;t have one yet, trying to gauge suitability from the manual and forum posts.

yes. that was basically my suggestion as it allows lots of manipulation (of the DJ set / live act bag of tricks) but if you’re hands are tied up with instruments proper, you can definitely utilise patterns and switch them up using the buttons or a controller. it’ll get you there.

I’ve been using the OT in this capacity (as one of my uses for it) for a while, i.e., playing a stereo backing track, with my partner singing live and me playing the Tempest for fills/perc and a poly evolver for synth hooks.

Each of my 7 songs have different tempos so I have been approaching this very simply. I have a different project for each song, so that the tempo is set (I send midi clock from the OT to the Tempest and PEK)

Now it’s a bit of a pain loading different projects between each song (20-30 seconds), but I fill in with the tempest / PEK a bit - not ideal but was the easiest way to get it going quickly.

Now I am considering using parts to spread my 7 songs over 2 or 3 parts (I also use some samples that I trigger before / during the songs) and manually change tempo between songs where required. This way I’d only have to load 2 or 3 projects rather than 7.

I’ve also been looking at song / arranger mode where I could keep it all within one project and automate the tempo

I suppose the key thing to consider is using a method that minimises the chances of a live fuckup and a method that allows for restoring order quickly for then things DO fuck up :slight_smile:

I’ve my first gig using this setup in 3 weeks, so I’ll post back when I’ve worked out “my way” of doing it, but by all means if anyone has any suggestions too, please chime in…

i’d love to see that hardware / human interface setup in action :wink:

as for a workaround for the project loading thing - you can always arm your self with an additional piece, say a kaossilator (they’re not expensive nowadays) and when you’re approaching the end of a song, just sample a loop in and mess around on the kaossilator when your new project is loading!

i’d love to see that hardware / human interface setup in action :wink:

as for a workaround for the project loading thing - you can always arm your self with an additional piece, say a kaossilator (they’re not expensive nowadays) and when you’re approaching the end of a song, just sample a loop in and mess around on the kaossilator when your new project is loading!
[/quote]
Hey. Yeah, I’ve owned a KP3 in the past and did consider this (or using my iPad) but that’s another piece of gear to manage, setup, carry etc etc. I’ll focus on using the tempest for beats / drones between projects (if I don’t work out a new better way of doing things).
The thing I need to watch out for is that when I change projects the midi clock will stop and the tempo changes - both of which will cause audible changes to the tempest, so I need to manage element too :o