Can we talk synthesizer hard cases?

Hey all, Ive got a Prophet 5 and gonna need to transport it soon on a flight and was wondering what is the consensus on whether its better to get a flight case that’s made for a particular model, or better to have one that’s bigger, extra padding etc.

There is a quite inexpensive plywood and aluminum flight case on Thomann by THON, made to the exact specs of the Prophet 5/10, but it appears to me that it has little padding. But maybe since it fits like a glove, all that isnt necessary? Maybe it’s indeed better?

On the other hand there’s a more expensive one from Gator, black plastic, on Thomann which is also longer, wider, and taller, but has adjustable foam for creating a custom fit.

The price is not that much of an issue, even the more expensive one is still affordable, and compared to the cost of a Prophet, it’s sensible to get the better one.

But which is the better one? The custom case made of plywood and aluminum, or the larger, plastic case with more padding?

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? I’ve never toured or gigged, so have no idea…

See pics for better context!

I haven’t used either, so I am no help. But, from what you say, and what I see in the photo’s, I might be inclined to try the Gator first. But also, check the reviews of each. There may be something telling there.

1 Like

On some airlines you can take instruments on board. If you can 100% do this. A google will pull up different airlines policies.

I would 100% get really good insurance and a solid case. I’m not sure this one is sturdy enough. So much luggage is going missing atm and baggage handlers are not known for their care and attention.

2 Likes

Neither of those look like they have nearly enough padding (though the gator one looks better out of the two). I wouldn’t trust them being shipped and especially not checked in baggage. What I always see happening with baggage when I am watching baggage handlers is stuff falling off the belt near the hull of the airplane. Especially when it is large and awkward. What is that, like a 20ft drop? Onto asphalt.

On top of that absolutely no one I know hasn’t permanently lost their checked luggage at least once in the last year or two. So definitely get some insurance that covers lost gear before you head out!

2 Likes

It might be cheaper to rent than buy good flight cases. I avoid traveling with keyboards, and I’ve never had a problem renting at the destination. Prices just went up for checking gear on many airlines. It sucks to travel by air as a keyboard player.

2 Likes

If it’s going in the hold, you’ll need one of these, or you can expect it to get broken.

1 Like

Awhile back you recommended an assault backpack over the Elektron one, and now a firearms case for an M16 rifle. Are you okay? :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I’m from East Anglia mate.

3 Likes

It seems like there should be a lot of these and similar cases floating around Ukraine right about now.

East Angular? Is that in the Mediterranean somewhere?

+1 on Pelican Cases though. Expensive but damned near indestructible. Got one with my Pro2 and would happily jump on it with the synth inside.

2 Likes

I have a gator hard case for travling with my synths and it is a solid hard case, but I drive everywhere and my cases are secured in the rear of my car. I think you would be “fine” checking the Gator case, and they even say that they are TSA approved (whatever that means), but baggage handlers are notorious for not being particularly careful with things and despite having a lot of padding, I would be hella concerned about my synth.

Like others have said, they are expensive, but if you want to invest in an absolutely disaster proof case, Pelican is the way to roll

1 Like

I have the equivalent THON hard case for my OB6- it’s definitely a bit flimsy and the hinges feel a little loose. Mine came with a block of sticky foam to cut as appropriate, which holds it in place reasonably enough.

Wouldn’t recommend THON cases for much more than home storage…

1 Like

Been using a gator case for my montage since new. Shoving it into the back of the ute with a bunch of other stuff stacked on or around it while moving house, - no dramas.

No way I’d trust it to underpaid freight workers who don’t give a shit though.

TSA can open the locks & inspect.

4 Likes

I’ll echo the sentiment in this thread. I’ve got a Gator hard case, and I would trust it to get banged around in the car, practice space, and at the gig. Would not trust it to get unceremoniously tossed into the cargo hold of a 747.

2 Likes

Eylar makes hard cases comparable to pelican. I have many of them for my gear. They are less expensive but the same case material, maybe not as think as a high-end pelican, but more substantial than the low price pelican series. The closure is less sophisticated.

I would fly with them but my intention was for road travel. They’re worth considering in general for hardcasing gear with dropping Ks.

1 Like

Interesting thread.

Pelican or Eylar would be my choice, if rent at destination is not an option (which would be my first option btw). Better safe than sorry, expecially with such an instrument.

I’m also looking for a (smaller) case for my korg MS20 module. It has non-standard dimensions, so I’m considering a custom case.

I see that Gator offers custom cases production (though I’m not sure single pieces would be feasible), does anybody here know companies that do that in Europe?