Can you have the parameters move in reverse when moving a macro in performance mode (à la Ableton Live's macros)?

I’d like to be able to move a parameter in a reverse direction with a performance macros, i.e. when you turn up macro A it would turn down the parameter (instead of up)? So it would mean you could move one parameter up and another down by turning one macro.

I would like to be able to perfectly and automatically compensate for the volume changes that macros knobs make, e.g. turn up overdrive when turning down the filter cut off.

Edit: my mistake, you just put negative depth in the performance setup, but for overdrive I’m not sure.

Use negative depth.

2 Likes

woops, yea I made a mistake, it’s that simple… for most parameters. I wasn’t sure cuz overdrive is bipoler so you can’t actually do it with those parameters, right? as in, have more overdrive the lower you put the cut-off on the filter. The best you can do is turn up the oscillators to push it harder into the overdrive, but that doesn’t really work

If you know where the default setting to which the parameter macro applies is (that is, if it is in the negative or positive overdrive region) then you can design the knob appropriately. If that is changing, then I don’t see a way to do it.

1 Like

I should have mentioned I’m on an A4MK2, the overdrive parameter is bipoler, at 0 there’s no overdrive and on either side + and - there’s the two types of overdrive so either way you turn the macro depth it adds overdrive. I can’t set a macro to give it overdrive at the bottom of the macro and turn down the overdrive as I turn the macro up.

I was hoping there was a workaround for this somehow.

If you are working with the negative overdrive and it is set to -50 (say) as the default, then if you give your macro setting positive depth, as you turn the macro up, the overdrive parameter will move towards zero, that is, the overdrive will decrease. It’s the opposite if you are working with the positive overdrive, you set the depth to be negative. The only problem is if which overdrive you are working with changes over the time that you want to use the macro. In which case, you could use the macro in bipolar mode (zero is midway) and keep track of which way you need to turn the knob. Of course, if you want the macro to do other things at the same time, this will not work so well, and you might want to set up two separate knobs.

3 Likes