Can't quit the chromatic mode

So I’m running the 1.40A update on Digitakt.
I enter the chromatic mode by pressing FUNC+TRK. A track goes into the keyboard mode, but it’s impossible to go back to the grid/sequencer mode again. Pressing the same FUNC+TRK combination doesn’t work. Only after I change the project it helps, but if I enter the chromatic mode again, the problem reappears.

I’ve tried rebooting, factory reset and dropping the upgrade sysex file again with no luck. Perhaps it’s a feature and I do something wrong?

I can’t upload an attachment so I dropped a recording showing the problem here: FFEB1CBF-E1A3-4077-8785-A95BA11A42AF.mp4 - Google Drive

1 Like

Hi, and welcome. The video is “still processing” for me, but this particular button combination is unusually touchy for some reason—Try holding FUNC down, and tapping TRK (with FUNc still down)?

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: I’ve uploaded a compressed version of the video here: FFEB1CBF-E1A3-4077-8785-A95BA11A42AF.mp4 - Google Drive

As for pressing the keys themselves in a proper way: I tried that, it doesn’t work unfortunately…

2 Likes

ive been stuck in a keyboard mode too but on DN.
it happened during step recording mode when i held func, and it got stuck.
went away either on its own or after rapid button spam.

loading new project didnt help, havent tried rebooting because it fixed itself before i could.
never been stuck prior to 1.40, and couldnt replicate it since.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t see this response before just now. I’m on 1.40 and not 1.40A yet on the Digitakt, but I was able to replicate this problem.

For me, the keyboard on and off behavior works fine (generally works best holding function and tapping track, like pressing ctrl-v on a computer) in Pattern Mute Mode, which is generally what I use.

When I tried using KB mode in Global Mute Mode , as it is in your video (trigs lighting up green and not purple), I was able to replicate the behavior you report—I wasn’t able to unstick it at all, except through changing to pattern mute mode (holding FUNC and tapping BANK twice to switch modes).

When I have more time I’ll update to 1.40A and see if it’s still there. If you’re already in the latest firmware, I think it might be a bug introduced by the song mode updates, and we should file bug reports.

1 Like

Hi, I am experiencing the same behaviour on a brand new DT 1.40. Entering the chromatic mode works just fine every time, while exiting it seems an adventure governed fairly by chance - I’d say works one time of of five attempts. Have you managed to find a fix for that? Feels like a hardware thing rather than a bug, I am afraid? Anyway, good luck, any tips will be greatly appreciated! All best, Pawel

PS. got a message from E’s customer support. It says:

“Check if the following works.
Press [FUNC] + [TRK] quickly (short press) to enter/exit CHROMATIC mode.
Press [FUNC] + [TRK] for about a second (long press) to open/close the KEYBOARD SETUP menu. If it still doesn’t work would you mind recording a short video showing this issue? It would be very helpful”.

Indeed quitting the DT’s chromatic mode seems easier now that I press both keys really fast and hard although I am still not sure this is how it’s supposed to work. Hitting Func+Trk perfectly to go out of the mode feels too fitful tbh but maybe it’s a matter of practicing “muscle memory”:slight_smile: Hope E’s answer helps a bit, take care, all best!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got the same problem with the latest OS, it’s very hit or miss type thing.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for that. Do you mean 1.40A? Want to upgrade from 1.40 today, but as mentioned by collageanka it’s almost guaranteed to actually not help with this particular issue. It does feel like a minor (well, no pun intended - depending on how often one uses the chromatic mode I guess) hardware imperfection rather than a software thing. Will keep checking what works best, hopefully there is a way to get used to this roulette…

yeah 1.40A

1 Like

I just want to add here that after I updated to 1.40A just now, I can’t replicate this problem anymore (as described above, getting keyboard mode stuck only when the mute mode was set to global, in and out of mute). I only observed the issue after updating to 1.40, so it might be worth a try for others (though I see there are folks with 1.40A in the thread, sorry you’re having the issue too).

1 Like