Change octave when browsing sounds

Is it possible to change the octave (for the built in keyboard) when browsing sounds? The arrow keys moves up and down the list, func+arrow keys jumps full pages…

1 Like

sadly not…

Yeah, it’s in the manual. When browsing hold the “AddNotes/Arp” button and arrows up/down

16 Likes

WHAT!!? Thank you sooo much! :smiley: If I only knew this earlier – I’d hit that like button twice if I could

4 Likes

Easy to miss

1 Like

Thanks @oroboro!

1 Like

The Elektron manuals are especially badly written. I wish they’d poach some folks from Yamaha or Roland to do their technical writing…

I respectfully disagree. I read them each before getting my instruments and enjoyed the reading, learned a lot and actually could remember a lot, or find it remembering where I could find it.

Well, to each its own :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, I like them. They’ve gotten noticeably better after OT manual imo

It’s not that they’re missing information, but the organization of the information has no structure or logic to it other than random chapters. I’ve not read a Roland or Yamaha manual from front to back, but I have only not found information I needed at the time simply because I didn’t know the jargon of the machine itself and therefore looked for the wrong thing in the index. That said, looking in adjacent areas still helped me find what I was looking for.

I’ve had no experiences like this with the Digitone manual.

I read through it once and picked up a lot and just went from there and watched YT videos now and then to pick up other usage tips. It’s really hard for me to give a stamp of approval to the Digitone manual having dealt with manuals for machines that are far more complex in operation with dozens more overlapping features and never really felt a strong need to ask other users for help or seek out ‘tutorials’ for those machines.

A good manual should work as a bible to operation and first stop for any problems a user will encounter for the gear and the Digitone manual is more like a brochure to me. It gets you interested in what it can do, but it’s hardly reference material that you feel is valuable to keep around and a large part of that is it’s haphazard structure and a what I perceive as a highly disorganized arrangement of information.

That said, Roland manuals suck now, too, because they don’t even write them anymore. One of the ‘great advances’ of online/always updating culture changes since the advent of the internet, sadly, is that companies tend to skimp on the manual writing to save money and instead just tell you to go ask someone else (who’s not paid to help, btw), and think this is okay. So I will give Elektron credit for having more of a manual for Digitone than the MC707/101 will ever have, at least in an official sense. That said, turning in the homework assignment doesn’t mean you get an automatic passing grade.

Also, Ensoniq’s manuals (at least the one for the TS-12) broke down all the technical stuff so well, I understood it as a 13 year old who’d never used a workstation sequencer sampler thing before. And there was definitely no internet and no ‘user groups’ I know of to figure out how to use it either. I only had the manual and it was great.