Chase Bliss & Meris CXM 1978 - a reverb, that is

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sooo many appealing things with this one but I must try not to cave in

1 Like

At the end of the day, it’s just a reverb. If I’d lose it for some reason, I’d still make do with what’s in the Blackbox, especially since I use reverb not so much for mixing (at all), but for sound design.

It has a very special palette, and honestly, it doesn’t do classic standard reverb all that well. But I’m not into that so that doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Naah, you’d buy a new one :ecstatic:

2 Likes

Oh no… the internet got me and led me to the CXM.
Already own an oto bam, strymon nightsky, dba rooms, empress reverb, and meris mercury 7.

do i need this one?
what I do like, is that there are no hidden menu’s / alt functions. Or are there?

my favorite reverb is probably the oto bam, anyone own both and made a comparison?

No. you have enough reverbs to last a life time :rofl:

But if you want to spend some cash, the CXM is lovely. You could easily sell the Mercury 7 unless you use the pitch modulation on it.

2 Likes

They don’t compare. Both lovely, but once you start using the CXM as a tool for creating entirely new patches and soundscapes, you’ll find it’s not so much a reverb as it is a sound design tool, which just happens to smear a lot of reverb onto its source.

I’ve used it in all kinds of odd ways lately, and it’s just totally unique. Like the OTO, of course, but if you’re into the CXM sound, you won’t find it elsewhere.

And yep, there are a few hidden features, but you’ll reach them by applying the right combinations of settings, which unlocks an extra layer or two of options. There’s kind of a delay in there, as in the feedback acting like one depending on its settings, and then there’s some room stuff going on depending on how you combine the different tweaks.

I did choose between this one and the OTO and I’m happy I went for this one. Then again, I’m not into external fx, I’m into Chase Bliss, so I’m biased. Like hell.

2 Likes

spill the beans! @circuitghost

1 Like

It’s in the manual :slightly_smiling_face: don’t recall the exact settings, but the basic idea is that some features take on a different shape than originally intended, depending on certain combinations. The feedback turning into an actual delay, primitive but effective, is the most obvious one, but there’s one or two more dwelling in there somewhere.

thanks for your experience/opinion, albeit a little biased
but can’t blame you, chase bliss is awesome

1 Like

I’ve owned a bunch of these reverbs at the same time and here’s the order I’d personally place them in:

OTO BAM > UAFX Golden Reverberator > Strymon NightSky > DBA Rooms > CXM 1978

It’s really important to me for a reverb to sound good with snare; only the OTO BAM and UAFX Golden Reverberator sounded right to me for this. I also prefer my reverbs to sound warm and dislike metallic reverbs that sit on top of the mix; the CXM 1978 was the most metallic sounding reverb I had.

6 Likes

interesting observation! especially given the price point of the CXM.

I ordered the CXM anyway, and got a ridiculous number of reverb pedals now, that I’m going to compare (to decide which one to keep):

• CXM 1978
  • OTO Bam
  • Strymon Nightsky
  • Chase bliss MOOD (not only a reverb I know)
  • Empress Reverb
  • Meris Mercury 7
  • Hologram microcosm (not only a reverb I know)
  • DBA Rooms

if anyone is interested I can share my 2 cents here after the testing.

5 Likes

curious @Prints: what are your favorite settings (and algorithm) on the BAM?

A fellow could have just a Mood, and get by pretty well. The onboard delay, reverb and of course the main granular engine, makes quite the deal.

1 Like

interesting that the UAD golden reverb was not *yet on my list
reviews are quite good too

You want to add a 9th reverb?

Some great pedals on your list. No idea how you get anything done with them all though - I’d be forever A-B testing them

1 Like

I think we all know which reverb is missing from the list? :wink:

Hint: Starts with a Q.

5 Likes

That would make an even 10! Makes AB testing easier too with an even number haha.

5 Likes

Room and Plate are probably my favorite algorithms. I liked to use the BAM very subtly, almost like a stereoizer. It excels at sounding natural although it can do all sorts of unnatural type sounds/FX imo.

what’s your take on the ventris?