Chase Bliss Thermae

Curious, did you update the hardware or firmware?

1 Like

Nope.

1 Like

Nice. These are all excerpt from a longer ā€žmini docā€œ on Thermae. There they also show the origins of the title track, which I really like.

1 Like

thanks, I didnā€™t know thatā€¦ will check out the whole cut

1 Like

Actually, never understood the debauchle around it. So maybe Iā€™m missing out.

I hardly ever use the Pitch Shifting, but I love Thermae for its unique sound. My only issue with it is that it runs so easily into self oscillation, so I have to be very deliberate with MIX and REGEN levels. In the documentery they mention how complex the calibration process is, so Iā€™m wondering if mine is perhaps not perfectly calibrated or if this is a general issue.

1 Like

Interesting, do you mind sharing some music you made with it?

Ironically, CBA just shared a bit of a looking back in Thermae in their latest newsletter. In it, they also announced that there will be a Max for Live plugin for it.

They also shared that it is in stock right now and that itā€™s their pedal that is most difficult to make.

1 Like

This may be a silly question, but is the filter on the Thermae analog or digital? Canā€™t seem to find out anywhere.

Not an expert, but I think Thermae is all analog.

Yeah, in the video a few posts back Joel says at the time of developing the Thermae he was still of the mindset ā€œdigital brain, analog heartā€. A full analog signal path, but the ability to control aspects of it digitally. So I think itā€™s fair to assume the filter is analog.

Yup, see also part of their latest newsletter:

ā€ž Thermae has always been a bit different from our other pedals. It was the first real weirdo, but itā€™s still an analog design. It was kind of a bridge between those early analog days and the wilder digital stuff we make now. It was the furthest I felt I could go in the analog domain.

The control scheme is more like a synthesizer than a pedal and turning it on for the first time is just flabbergasting (in a fun way). Itā€™s like a musical partnerā€“it helps you write melodies, or generate new rhythms.

To be honest it probably would have just been a one-time detour if nobody was into it. But you were into it, and are into it, and that longevity is so, so meaningful for Chase Bliss. For many reasons.

For one - and Iā€™m just going to say this so itā€™s not weird - yes, we are a business and need money. And the success of Thermae gave us the freedom (and time) to invest in a big project like Blooper. So yes, thatā€™s a thing. But it also tells me weā€™re on the right track and it gives me the confidence to try things and trust people. It tells me and the whole team that the things weā€™re making everyday are actually making a difference in someoneā€™s music.

The hype is long gone and thereā€™s something weirdly wholesome and fulfilling about that.ā€œ

1 Like

Thanks @Azzarole and @aloud, really appreciate your replies! I had assumed so but wanted to double check. I have a Mood and really enjoy it. Contemplating the Thermae for all the praise its received and to add some nice analog touches to my setup.

2 Likes

I wonder if the older Thermaes will be considered ā€œbetterā€ since they were all tuned by the original guy versus a team of new people.

1 Like

Today Iā€˜ve tried what happens when assigning the time parameter of BBD Delay on Rev2 to aftertouch. You can get kinda into the Thermae sound and play the delay time in a really musical way. I have to dive deeper into this. As you can assign the parameter to LFOs and mod matrix as well, there should be some nice possibilities.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/ConBp30pC7o/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cotb4Y_rtb2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Iā€™ve been using my Thermae a lot lately. My favorite pairings are with the Volca Modular and 0-Coast, which I made some recordings of that I posted on my (not very popular) Instagram side handle.

2 Likes