Chase Bliss Thermae

Anyone using Thermae here? Lots of interest in their newer pedals but not this one. Seems interesting more simple synths without stereo out.

I really love analog delay sound and find the pitch shifting quite interesting. The sound of the filter is also great, especially when self-oscillating.

But I am a bit skeptic about the controls. I found Meris Hedra way too convoluted with its shift functions. Is Thermae intuitive when not using the dip switches? How clunky is sequencer mode to use? From videos, it is not clear whether it is a dedicated knobby pedal that is hands on and intuitive but can go crazy if you want to. Or more of a happy accident machine that makes almost anything hard to reproduce.

Also: How does it handle line level signals?

use and love it a lot!

since 2 years of having it never touched dip switches : )
itā€™s super good even before switches

it handles line signals perfectly, never had issues (using it with modular, mono synths, guitars, almost everything ).

the sonic character is warm and very ā€œanalogā€, joy to use and very musical results all of the time.

highly recomended : )

1 Like

Nice, do you have any examples of how you used it? Not that many inspiring synth videos out there using it.

hmmā€¦

nothing too fancy, but here is a modular live iā€™ve played a year ago @ modular fest,
used thermae on ciat lonbarde sidrax

for example @ around 8:45 you can hear how it transforms boring mono sequence into ā€œterry riley kind of thingā€

2 Likes

Not really my kind of music, but the effect sounds nice.

@circuitghost: As the CBA fanboy here, is this a pedal you are using or have experience with?

1 Like

Nope. This and the Dark World reverb are the two CBA pedals in production, I have close to no experience with, in comparison.

1 Like

Now Iā€˜m curious why that is :nerd_face:.

1 Like

Iā€™ll tell ya after Christmas :slight_smile: right in the middle of Santa mayhem here and the clan needs to be fed with odd things no one really enjoys but still claims is the best (so why the f**k donā€™t you eat this weird shit all the time if itā€™s so great and not just once every goddam year, is my reply to them, which usually shuts them up and puts a real damper on the situation in general)

But yeah. Iā€™ll tell ya after Christmas :slight_smile: gotta return to our bizarre customs and disgusting food traditions now.

2 Likes

Haha, okay, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Merry christmas and enjoy your food!

1 Like

I have two Thermaeā€™s (as well as two TR RKMā€™s, and a standard TR). I never even touch the dip switches (other than setting one dip switch to modulation). I just use it for a straight ahead modulated delay - and it sounds beautiful.

2 Likes

TR = Tonal Recall?

So you donā€™t even use the pitch shifting? Curious about some music you made with it.

you gotta come back and tell us more about that food too after Christmas :rofl:

1 Like

Right, so to answer your question, what Iā€™ve heard from the Thermae sounds very cool and interesting, but Iā€™ve heard nothing that made me go "Oh, I wish Iā€™d thought of that or ā€œHey, I can use that in a songā€. If Iā€™d had my hands on one, Iā€™m sure I wouldā€™ve come up with results that Iā€™d like and use, but it doesnā€™t immediately inspire me from a distance like say the Mood or the CXM did.

As for the Dark World, itā€™s as simple as I have a CXM and a Mood (which has part of the Dark World in it, I believe), so a third reverb has to be something quite spectacular for me to consider it.

The Dark World in stereo mightā€™ve been enough, because I like what itā€™s doing. But I can take the Mood reverb pretty far, so I donā€™t feel the Dark World justifies the cost.

With Chase Bliss gear in general, theyā€™re easy enough to learn. But finding the places they can take you to, that takes some time, in my experience. It took months before I actually understood the Mood properly, and Iā€™ve just wrapped my head around the Habit to get to a point where I get consistently good results from it. The Gen Loss is easier, itā€™s more a matter of flavour there, and the CXM is also more straight forward, though Iā€™ve learned a few tricks there as well that just makes it more than a reverb.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, that makes total sense. Maybe CBA will eventually send you a Thermae and you will make some convincing songs with it half a year later :sweat_smile:.

The Thermae definitely has its tone I would say, and I feel like you really have to dig it to spend that much on it. I really loved how this guy turned the gliding pitches into a kind of choir:

2 Likes

Yes, thereā€™s a lot of that going on with the Thermae, and I like the concept behind it. But most of the time, the results are more experimental or explorative, and Iā€™m no Aphex :slight_smile: Iā€™m very traditional in my song writing and just apply some techniques from electronica to spice up whatā€™s at its bare bones, usually just a fairly dull and straight forward song.

If Iā€™d become funkier, I might go for a Thermae. Iā€™m not even considering other fx manufacturers these days, the search to find a new fit would just be too exhausting. Iā€™m sticking with Chase Bliss.

1 Like

Groove is in the heart.

1 Like

I tried the Thermae and loved the pitch shifting but itā€™s very noisy. You really have to use to filter to tame the hiss. Of course that means that you loose lots of high frequencies. I have to admit that Iā€™m very sensitive to noise, so maybe it doesnā€™t bother you :blush:

1 Like

Yes TR = Tonal Recall

I donā€™t use the pitch shifting at all on the Thermae, and Iā€™m using it on guitar for nice modulated delays.

1 Like

Iā€™ve owned my Tonal Recalls since they first came out. I never thought about buying the Thermae because I donā€™t use pitch shifting, and I already owned several analog delays, so why would I want a Thermae? I finally bought one on a whim earlier this year, and was super impressed with the lush beautiful sounds I was getting out of it - and they were a different flavor than my Tonal Recalls. Now I have two Thermaeā€™s (one for each board).

My studio board

My gig board

2 Likes
3 Likes