Chompi Kickstarter

Looks fun for sure!

1 Like

Not sure if its for me but love those keys

6 Likes

Would definitely like to know what kind of feel the knobs have. Makes a big difference in a device like this. Personally I prefer the slower feel of the Bluebox or LXR-02

1 Like

I understand heā€™s probably using a prototype device and I respect someone who does their own pr and comes on here and makes an account just to answer our questions so Iā€™m hesitant to say what I actually think, but when I watch people use things that I would consider paying for - I look for certain benchmarks of quality - when I see the knobs being turned, I look to see if they seem loose. I really like the way my rocket sounds but the knobs are unbelievably wobbly and itā€™s offputting, it makes it feel like waldorf was not concerned with making a quality product. So when I watch a demo, I look to see if there is any visible play in the knobs/encoders when a device is being demoā€™d.

2 Likes

yes, i agree. but this seems to be a prototype, so letĀ“s hope there arenĀ“t wobbly knobs in the final product (like in the roland sh-d4 :smiley:)

1 Like

@CHOMPI Congrats for designing this instrument! The one thing that keeps me wondering if Chompi will be for me is that your website says ā€œUnique SCREENLESS WORKFLOW w/ RGB LEDā€: As I am red-green color-blind (like 10% of the male population), I am wondering if I will be able to discern the various states of Chompi.

I have been using both the Elektron A4 and OT from the moment they have been available, but always struggled with their red-orange-green LED color scheme. Luckily most states were also communicated via the display, so I was able to work around my disability. But the moment the A4 MkII and OT MkII appeared with the blue-capable LEDs (as introduced with Digitakt), I sold my first generation instruments and bought the MkII versions.

So my question is if there is a chance to have user-adjustable LED color states? Thanks much in advance for your answer ā€“ I keep my fingers crossed for the campaign going well!

6 Likes

Iā€™m definitely in. When is the KS going live?

28th March

Looks cool but even at 499ā‚¬ kickstarter pricing itā€˜s too pricey for me for what it is/I can see it is.

3 Likes

CHOMPI uses a very similar type of encoder as the Elektron boxes: PEC11R-4020F-S0024
However, they have a metal D-Shaft instead of the plastic.

Hopefully that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ll post my email response here for others to see:

ā€œIronically, I also struggle with my vision (especially with the tiny screens). To answer your question directly, yes the LED States will be user adjustableā€¦ but weā€™re also considering offering a firmware that would remove the ā€œcolorā€ gradient and use a ā€œdimmingā€ control over the brightness level of the LEDā€™s for folks with color blindness. Either way, there should be a fairly easy way to customize CHOMPI to fit your needs.ā€

9 Likes

Kickstarter launches March 28th

5 Likes

I have severe colour deficiencies, in a galaxy totally my own, so Iā€™m glad to read this, life is limited enough!

Very nice thing, but basically the demo is quite close to my own experiments with Digitakt (live sampling of kalimba and other tiny noise & ASMR makers)

If I didnā€™t have a opz, which basically is almost the sameā€¦ I would buy thisā€¦
Oh and I donā€™t have patience for a Kickstarter.

It looks so cool!

Is there a battery or must it always be powered via USB-C? That would be my main concern as OP-1s are easy to get hold of these days for decent second hand prices

1 Like

Looks like it has a battery icon on the rear panel.

ā€¦love ur silly saaaamplinā€™ā€¦

Definitely interested. Just looks like a lot of fun, and thatā€™s worth a lot IMO.

3 Likes