Circuitghost - new EP - All That We Lost

Thanks. Yeah, this one really came out surprisingly different depending on listening context. It turned out all right on monitors, in phone, my Marshall and mate’s car stereo. But was a bit subdued in my regular listening headphones.

Anyway, I’ve scrapped this version too now :blush: I am going for a more subtle sound, seems to fit the original content even better. Take the best of each version and evolve.

3 Likes

And here’s the latest attempt - won’t be going in this direction, it’s too funky, but I did enjoy the detour. And there’s some energy here that might be worth building on. This one’s made entirely on the Toraiz SP-16, including rendering of master file -

4 Likes

Sounding good! In the immortal words of Bootsy “we’re all funky, just not all of us know it”

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: I’ll take that any day of the week.

1 Like

what i love about this set is indeed the energy, my mind drifted off into a wondrous place, well done! :milky_way:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I’ll definitely take that and think about my next move here. Much appreciated for listening :pray:

1 Like

Coming in super late to mention I love the EP. Loving how the extended/looped samples double really well as rhythmic parts and ambience. Also like the vibe on the Club set. The subdued drums suited the track I think, with the sweet spot being take 3.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: that’s very nice of you to say. I’m on my fifth take on the club version now. The fourth one was too much, the third one was all right and also my favourite so far, now that some time has passed, but the mix isn’t working all that well and there’s just something about it, that’s not quite right.

But this new one … well, we’ll see :slight_smile: it’s the one closest to the original material so far, but hopefully with the funk vibe applied to it.

I think the third take is my current favorite. You could easily release that one as it sits today. I still enjoyed the fourth, though. It’s just different, hehe. Good luck fine-tuning your project. I look forward to hearing the next take. Don’t overdo it, though, you’re on to something, I think.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, third one is my fav, too. But the fifth one, I’m working on now, will turn out to be the best one, as well as be the sound I’m committing to, if I can get it right. Still tricky with variations in this one, but what’s there is definitely clips that’s as close to a club version of this that I believe I can manage.

1 Like

Realising my limitations, I have now cancelled this. I’m just not a good beat maker and won’t perform these songs in any context where their original intent doesn’t come through.

Slightly disappointed in myself for thinking that I could pull this off, I also find some satisfaction in realising that I like the original tracks as they are. Some of their flavour got lost in a more beat-oriented context and perhaps not even a great beat maker, could make them into something they were never intended for in the first place.

Having said that, I’m not a great beat maker. So we’ll never know, will we? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspected that the original, subtle, rich tapestry of the EP wouldn’t work with dance-oriented beats when you first mentioned the project. Your music is great the way it was originally intended. It doesn’t mean you’re not or can’t be a beat maker (and you can always take what you learned and apply it to different projects with a different focus in the future), just that All That We Lost was perfect the way it was recorded in the first place. IMO, of course :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I guess, whatever it was, it was defined enough to be most comfortable in its own context. But you are very kind for saying such nice things about the EP :heartbeat:

1 Like

Remixes by other people who haven’t been involved in the process may be interesting?

1 Like

That would be quite something, but I doubt I’d attract enough interest to get someone’s attention to bother. But I’d love it if it happened.

1 Like

Plenty of talent round these parts for remixes :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t doubt that for a second. But everyone’s busy being busy these days.

I don’t know, I think I’m done with the Lost and Remained duo now. Time to move on to new things.

2 Likes

i love this album. i decided to revisit it as im considering the p12 desktop and it’s making a great case for it

i also just got a 1010 blackbox and im curious, if you wouldn’t mind sharing, how you put together loops into full arrangements on the 1010. do you use song mode? are they typically clips that you piece together by live launching in Seq mode? do you record launched clips/samples in a daw or something? im trying to wrap my head around the workflow

thanks for sharing your process. It’s very inspiring

2 Likes

Thank you for saying, it’s very kind of you to listen to my music and show an interest in what I do. I’d be happy to share.

I don’t use a daw, and the music you hear comes from an assembly of loops from the Prophet 12, field recordings and some old Moog DFAM samples. I made two more EP:s in the same vein, making up for a trilogy in total, and I used the same method for all of them.

Essentially, I record a batch of loops into the blackbox by use of various sequencers, but primarily the blackbox own. I usually make the loops long, at least 64 bars long but sometimes up to 128, and play and tweak them live. Human modulation :slight_smile:

I resample the loops from the blackbox and back again through outboard fx when appropriate, mostly Chase Bliss gear, and then I either make them into slices, free running loops or granular loops in the blackbox. Depending on this, they behave a little differently, but they all get a sequence each in the pattern sequencer. I use the pattern sequencer not only to start and stop them, but sometimes to have the same loop fade in and out with cross-fading, by applying polyphony to it. Two voices is usually enough. So there’s some ebb and flow between when the loops trigger and how they blend into each other.

I then assemble all sequences into clips in the song mode, and many sequences run free across multiple clips, which is a big part of the overarching structure of my songs.

And that’s it, I guess :slight_smile: the blackbox sandbox structure to sequencing and clip batching really is essential to how I write my songs.

3 Likes

Follow up question: Do you play the Prophet synth loops manually on keys to a metronome or a basic beat or is it all programmed in the Blackbox?

1 Like