Cirklon V2

No. the midi effects pale in comparison as to what you can do with Aux events. Cirklon has a real song mode. different type of play patterns, brownian motion, polyrhythms and polymeter. And on the CV side of the house you have a bunch of utilities that the squarp doesn’t have such as CV to midi, ADSR envelopes, etc.

I sold my Pyramid when I got my Cirklon, its just a different class of instrument.

7 Likes

well, you can go from CV input to create midi CC events in the Cirklon. but you can’t do CV/Gate input to create midi note events. at least not yet. which is a bummer.

Well i think there is pro’s and con’s of both. Cirklon lacks some things the Pyramid does as well.

But in terms of a different class, the Cirklon (from what’s iv seen) looks to be in a different league in terms of hardware for sure. :slight_smile:

I’m on the 18 month waiting list which ills pend with my pyramid. :slight_smile:

Interesting. Thanks

Pyramid also has polyrhythms and polymeters, It can do some pretty interesting stuff using a loopback to it’s pyramidi. I’m sure the Cirklon is better in many ways but I personally can’t say that one is the absolute clear winner over the other, The Pyramid does generally seem much better suited to chords / polyphony and you can get around it’s basic song mode using tricks with the loopback to pyramidi trick I mentioned.

3 Likes

Been umming and ahhing over it and going back and forth since I got on the list. I’m still interested in it but can only justify it if I’ve landed a grad job in my field by the time my number comes up - which won’t be until next year. Appreciate the offer though.

The current wait is 3+ years, so hopefully you’ll find a good job in the meantime. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know smaller companies has limited capacity. But I have to wonder how many lost sales they got due to their long production time.

Iv dealt with small specialized companies in my profession as photographer, where they offer products not really matched by anyone else and the price to match it. Never seen production times to up to 3-years though.

3 Likes

The song structure and track structure is completely different. Cirklon is definitely more capable if you’re doing songs vs jams pyramid seems nice but the project structure seems a little limited if you have a lot of compositions in your set

3 Likes

the list is three years long. so if you contact someone on it and they can’t buy one/don’t want one any more, you contact the next person. no “lost” sales in terms of they’re selling every one they build, and shipping them as fast as they can make them. but I get your point: lots of people when they see a wait time like that say “pffft… screw all that noise.” and unless they want to hunt for a deal on a second-hand one, they just use something else.

it’s more interesting to me that they can effectively shut down the sale of their biggest ticket item for a full year, and just concentrate on R&D, while also moving.

2 Likes

If the prior product is so unsustainable / unscalable in process, they couldn’t NOT do this.

1 Like

True, but as you say i think they lose some on the fact the wait time is so long. In the end if it works for them and their customer put up with it, more power to them.

2 Likes

of course. otherwise they’re sunk. I’m kind of just musing about how that must have sucked, really. it wasn’t entirely planned for. typically you try to keep cash coming in while you’re doing R&D, but they got stuck in a spot where they couldn’t. or couldn’t on the big ticket item at least.

2 Likes

When people pay more for them second hand than they cost new, I think it’s safe to say they lose sales.

1 Like

I’m not sure that Colin is too worried about losing sales tbh. Got to know him quite well via social media. He doesn’t seem to be money motivated, so long as he’s living comfortably.

It’s almost like a hobby which he makes a bit of money from.

7 Likes

@Purusha
Sure and that’s most likely why it’s not a commercially competitive product either.

It’s also not targeted at professional (as in relying on it to make a living) but more to the hobbyist who have the time and money.

1 Like

It’s most definitely NOT a hobby. And Arturia/Behringer/Moog etc they are most definitely NOT.

WTF :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

No worries. I actually ordered 2.
One for myself, and the other for my friends professional recording studio, which is used by dozens of professional commercial musicians who keep asking when the damn thing is going to arrive.

1 Like

Could you be any more wrong? Lol.

2 Likes

Does a lack of marketing makes for a less sturdy product?

The Cirklon has a rep for being one of the highest quality sequencers out there, certainly among those still in production.

1 Like