Clearly an idiot but have little time!

So, I’m clearly an idiot. And once again apologies to the wonderful people here.

Can anyone please suss out where I’m going wrong with this.

I’ve just created a beat on Syntakt (could’ve been any of my other Elektron devices) and have only my iPad to hand to record it.

It’s iPad Pro (USB C) and because these littler Elektron boxes are class compliant I thought it’d be easy.

It’s not.

I’ve tried Garage Band, just records through the mic

Tried Voice memos the same

Bought AUM, can’t find a way of the recording coming through USB

Have my ST set up to USB CONFIG> USB AUDIO MIDI.

Thanks.

Andrew (always learning)

1 Like

For recording audio over USB into the iPad I use the app AudioShare. Itˋs pretty straight forward.

4 Likes

Make sure overbridge mode is disabled on your syntakt. You should be able to just use the voice memo app, or even shoot a video and that would use the audio from Syntakt directly.

2 Likes

Never mind… didn’t read properly.

Hope you find a solution!

Right, make sure you go into USB config and enable the class compliant audio mode. Many apps should be compatible with it.

2 Likes

Are you using a camera connection kit with your iPad?

1 Like

No, it’s all USB C now isn’t it? Class compliant therefore no need for an interface

Tried, still not worked.

Maybe, apple is kind of weird with how they let you connect to things.

I use Hokusai for recording into, which is a a basic wave editor. One nice thing is it shows you the name of the recording device that is active, so you could try that to check if it says internal mic or Elektron as the recording device. AFAIK there’s no way to switch them on iOS, USB always takes priority over internal so if you don’t see it it suggests a connection issue.

I’ve never had any issues over USB-C… maybe check the adapter you are using is okay? And as others have said check the Elektron device is on USB Audio mode (not overbridge or midi only)

1 Like

For me it’s working fine to record the Syntakt output over USB into my Ipad.

My setup:
Syntakt, USB config set to USB audio/midi
USB cable, Type B to Type A
USB 3.1 hub, with Type A ports and a fixed Type C cable
Ipad Air gen 4, with USB C and any software that can record audio

I believe Ipads can be a bit picky about USB hubs. I have another USB hub with lightning cable that I have tried to use with my Ipad mini 5, and the Ipad mini has never recognised the audio interfaces I have connected this way.

2 Likes

So, I need an interface? Because I’ve recorded audio FROM iPad directly to Digitakt, I assumed the reverse (ie FROM Syntakt directly to iPad) would work the same.

No, the syntakt is an audio interface itself.

I’m AUM click on the red microphone bottom left. Then you will see a microphone in a square, and a plus to the right. Click on the plus and you will have the option to select the input. Select hardware input (or another name, don’t have the syntakt plugged in here).

1 Like

Hello Always Learning Andrew

2 Likes

Save yourself the agony, bring the two to an Apple store and try to borrow a camera connection kit.

1 Like

no camera connection kit needed.

1 Like

Ah, hrm. Odd that they have it set to USB compliant and it’s not recognized then.

what kind of cable do you use? (USB C to USB B it should be)
Or are you using an adapter for USB to USB C?
Third possibility would be the apple USB C to USB adapter including an extra connection for USB C where you can charge the battery while using the iPad to record stuff.

2nd and 3rd option work for me without any issues.

3 Likes

Check the audio routing settings on the ST :wink:

USB C to USB B is the cable I’m using, no adapter.